VOGONS

Interesting - ALS4000 DOS support

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea I didn't really have many W98 days. My final Retro PC as a Kid was a Pentium 2 300 MHz with some ATI card and a 3DFX Voodo 2 card and I believe it had W98 or W98SE I'm not sure. And my last game was Tomb Raider 2!

I then didn't do any computing for ~ 4 years and got back into this hobby with a Northwood Pentium 2.4, Radeon 9800 and Windows XP and my first game Medal of Honor.

I remember the joy of going through 4 years of tomshardware reviews (which was THE geek site back in the days) and reading about the battle of 3DFX against Nvidia and the race to 1 GHz and so on. So that's the main reason I can't contribute a lot to the W98 discussions on this site 🙁

Reply 21 of 26, by VGCodemaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

here are the specs for the SuperTX board: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/J/J- … m-SUPER-TX.html

the highest mhz it can go is 300 and I know dos doesn't really call for much but still I think it's pushing it to use this board for everything that came out in those days.

Reply 22 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Excellent board for DOS!

I like to split machines into pure DOS machines (with ISA sound cards) and another machine for W98SE with a decent P3 and mostly PCI cards.

Otherwise there are just too many compromises...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 24 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You are right I didn't think of Windows 3.1 games 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 25 of 26, by VGCodemaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Holy crap all these old motherboards with socket 7 are costing like $50.00 to hundreds on ebay what the heck???

And I don't have a power supply that has the connector to test mine. =(

Reply 26 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you need hardware quick, then Retro parts have become pricey. Cheap parts sell all the time, but you need to invest time in looking for them and waiting for auctions to end...

Buying a complete Pentium from local classifieds or something like that is usually a much cheaper way. Or ask friends if they have an old PC lying around. You would be surprised 🤣

My YouTube channel