VOGONS

First post, by support@lmicanada.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a basic program that is being run on a Win95 desktop as well as a couple ancient handhelds for data aquazition. The data is transfered by RS232 on Com 1:
I need to run the program on a WinXP Pro box first, and eventually on WinXP laptops without com ports (use PCMCIA com port or USB/Comm: adapter)

Any advise (other than rewrite the program in VB?)

Thanks

Reply 1 of 6, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Typically you can open a filename "COM1", this should open the Serial Port as configured in Win device manager. It's a synonym like LPT for parallel a.s.o.

I don't know much about modern basic, but you should be able to
print# and get# chars or bytes then from there.

In C it would be CreateFile , ReadFile and WriteFile...

If you really want to stick to Windows you might want to have a look at the Win32 SDK and there ComCTL , DCB a.s.o....

A USB to RS232 adapter is typically mapped to f.e. COM3 by a wrapper USB driver.

Reply 2 of 6, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I forgot, you can still access the uart in hardware from the dosbox, all accesses will be mapped through.
16550 manual: http://www-s.ti.com/sc/ds/tl16c550c.pdf

Works with any other 16550 too including auto flow.
Only other thing is that you have to set the PIC if you use a PC.

You can take this part from some example, there are alot available.

Reply 5 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good to hear....and thanks for reporting back. 😀

I wonder if the free Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 (not as easy to use as VPC but compatibility-wise should be the same), the free Vmware Server Beta 2 or the OpenSource Qemu would have solved your problem though. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 6, by support@lmicanada.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quite possible Qemu may have worked, but the other two products are considerably more complex to use. The PITA factor would more than balance out the cost, being a customer application. Using the VPC is pretty much a no-brainer - it was dead easy to set up, and the 45day free trial made it risk free. I was able to try it and prove it worked without spending any cash, and it's cheaper for the customer than re-coding the program.