VOGONS

First post, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to own three SB 128 PCI's with legacy software drivers, since a few months I "upgraded" my two PC's to SB live! Value, the oldest one ct4670. The driver works nice, the legacy SB16 support works nice. The synth uses ECW wavetable files, of which there are only 5 around:
DOSTEST.ECW, EAPCI2M.ECW, EAPCI4M.ECW, EAPCI8M.ECW, 2MG4.ECW.
I prefer the 2mg4 wavetable, which is OK (dostest is nothing but added to the list for completeness). Anyways, hardly anything to complain, but I was looking at the date stamp of the VXD (main driver file) which says 1999. which is rather dated... As you might know Creative sold soundcards with the same Chip (Emu10K1) for years after up until audigy 2 (2002) or something. (I cannot confirm exactly, don't own any.) Almost all differences must therefore be in the peripherals or software.

Articles state that, with a small check removed, you can install the audigy 2 driver/software package for use on every SBLive! I have tried this and can confirm it works on windows 2000. (search for A2ForSBLive.exe or sb_install_multilang.rar+ctcomp.zip) The card now runs with driver version 5.12.1.283 of 2002.
Less succesful are my tries on the windows 98SE machine, here is my LOG:

Windows 95/98/ME Drivers for Creative SoundBlaster Live! (Value) […]
Show full quote

Windows 95/98/ME Drivers for Creative SoundBlaster Live! (Value)

-Manual install for CT4670 PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_00201102
Emu10k1.inf - for SB Live! Value
Ctmisc.inf - for Gameport Joystick / Sb16 Emulation / MultiMedia Interface

-latest stable VXD driver as of 12-6-2006:
EMU10K1.VXD version 4.11.01.0711 1999 sblw9xup.exe

-there is also a laterVXD driver for the Emu10K1 chipset, but these did not
install the gameport functionally, and left out SB16 emulation altogether

EMU10K1.VXD version 4.12.01.0905 2000 http://www.riva.com.pl/sterowniki/karty%20muzyczne/
EMU10KX.VXD version 4.12.01.0248 2002 SbLivePack.zip
CTAUD9X.VXD version 4.12.01.0283 2002 sb_install_multilang.rar

so there for anyone who is interested, and also hoping someone has got something to add.

Reply 2 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

for XP and 2K I just use the driver pack Creative supplies on their site for Live!. Has always worked fine for me. I've never seen any sort of tangible gain from those hacked packs, and they often have weird issues with the software apps.

Live! is not an Audigy. The processor is not as capable. The Kx project guys will attest to this from developing their drivers.

The DOS drivers are simply rebaged Ensoniq AudioPCI DOS emulator software. Hence the EAPCI in the waveset filenames.

For Win9x you are probably best off with the VXD-based Liveware3 drivers. The WDM drivers are just buggier and use more CPU time. 98 doesn't really have very good WDM support either. You need NT5 OSes IMO for really decent WDM support. Liveware3 supports all of Live!'s capabilities.

Tragically, if you are using a Live 5.1, you are stuck with the WDM drivers as Liveware3 will not work with those cards.

edit:
I have the Liveware3 driver pack. It's called "lw30full_9x.zip". It's about 30 MB. Google that.

Reply 3 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had the impression that the WDM system as a whole was more robust than VxD. At least, I have seen references to VxDs on a lot of BSODs, but I cannot recall ever seeing a WDM error.

Reply 4 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WDM is less efficient on a hardware level. VXD allows direct hardware access. Undoubtedly WDM is better for stability, however. Basically a bad VXD can do more bad things than a bad WDM. WDMs are more bloated because of the extra compatibility and robustness that MS wanted. I would use VXDs if given the option, for performance. There is certainly nothing wrong with the Liveware3 drivers.

And as I said, Win9x doesn't have all that great WDM support. WDM drivers didn't really get good until XP hit. The move to Win 2000 and the requirement for WDM use gave hardware devs a lot of grief for a few years. (NT4 was way different).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Driver_Model
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VxD

Reply 5 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, and can you play multiple sounds simultaneously (e.g., use an MP3 player and hear Windows system sounds) with VxD drivers? I don't recall being able to do that, but maybe it was a limitation of the particular card I was using.

Reply 6 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes, but it depends on the audio card. I know Ensoniq AudioPCI cards have a limit here, for example. Live! supports 32 mixed audio streams in hardware with VXD drivers, just like the newer WDMs.