VOGONS

First post, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Citizens of Vogonosphere.. I've got a tough one.

While recently testing whether a recently aquired 486/DX4-100 was a good working CPU or not, I noticed my Serial-version classic Microsoft "J" mouse wasn't working in any DOS mouse-enabled program.

I thought it might be due to the new CPU, so I tried my mouse with a known good DX4-100... same thing. Then I tried it with an AMD X5-133... Same thing... mouse no workie. *However*, when I popped my i486/DX2-66 in (the CPU I usually keep in that Mobo) everything is honkie-dorie.

I haven't tried other CPU's yet, but at this point I'm puzzled. The motherboard is an FIC PIO-3. The only correllation between the CPU's is that the ones that appeared to cause the mouse not to work are 3.x volt CPU's while the DX2-66 is a 5volt CPU.

Any ideas? Similar experiences?

Reply 3 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some bios has the tendency to set an AUTO value for COM1 and COM2 - Select 3F8h (IRQ4) for COM1 and 3E8h (IRQ3) [if memory doesn't fail me] manually in bios.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 5, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How would the manual vs. auto IRQ assignments for the COM ports create a difference between the mouse working with CPU's of different speeds.

In all circumstances, with all the CPU's, the mouse was recognized by the DOS MS Mouse driver (v11). It just didn't respond when it had a CPU >66MHz installed.

And, No, I haven't tried any other serial devices in the com ports when the faster CPU's have been installed... only the mouse.