VOGONS

First post, by woodbrowne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good day everyone,

Please would you help me with the Glide wrapper. I am trying to run Pandemonium 2. When I use the wrapper (Zeckensack's and eVoodoo) I can get the setup to run, but in Win 95, it then doesn’t actual install the files, in Win XP it says the file name is not valid or too long (even after emulating Win 95 / 9Cool. If I copy the CD directly to me hard disk or run from CD then the 3 intro screens run, but it then halts and give an error "message from programmer dude" that Pandemonium 2 cannot run without a valid resource.cnf file. Please would you let me know what I need to do to get this to work.

Many thanks

Regards
Peter Browne

Reply 1 of 4, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just have a demo of Pandemonium 2 and it works with another Glide wrapper called dgvoodoo. I had trouble installing this demo similar to yours (name is not valid or too long, Pandemonium 2 cannot run without a valid resource.cnf file), but there is a file setup.cnf in demo, here is what it contains:

;
; File copy lists for Pandemonium DEMO CD. The format is:
; dest = source
;
; First we have the software-only setup:
;

;
; Now we have the 3DFX setup:
;
[Full3]
pandy.exe = p2play.exe
wjesters.pkg = sjesters.pkg
resource.cnf = demo.cnf
pandemonium.bat = pandy3.bat
music = music

I simply replaced names of files from installation pack with those above and then demo worked! Maybe it will be helpfull for you?

Reply 2 of 4, by woodbrowne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Zebius,

I found the setup.cnf, it contains

;
; File copy lists for Pandemonium 2 CD. The format is:
; dest = source
;
;

;
; Now we have the copy-everthing setup:
;
[Full3]
pandy.exe = p2play.exe
wjesters.pkg = wjesters.pkg
resource.cnf = game.cnf
dsetup.dll = dsetup.dll
dsetup16.dll = dsetup32.dll
setup.exe = setup.exe

[Compact3]
pandy.exe = p2play.exe
sjesters.pkg = sjesters.pkg
resource.cnf = compact.cnf
dsetup.dll = dsetup.dll
setup.exe = setup.exe

The Full3 and Compact3 are the 2 options which seem to be given in the setup screen whether to install the full version or the compact version (I assume it still runs thing off the cd)

I renamed the files as you suggested, ie: p2play renamed to pandy.exe. When running Pandemonium, at the start up an error message now pops up saying "The Pandemonium CD must be in the CD-ROM drive before you can play". The error message occurs for bothe the Full3 and Compact3 options.

game.cnf contains
"WJESTERS.PKG 1 0 99 0 0 0"
, and I rename the file to resource.cnf

compact.cnf contains
"SJESTERS.PKG 1 0 0 0 0 0
WJESTERS.PKG 1 0 98 0 0 1"
I rename compact.cnf to resource.cnf

Both of these options gives the same error message as before. What does your demo.cnf contain, perhaps I can try using your demo.cnf as a replacement for my resource.cnf? Is there any way to get Pandemonium to not look for the CD? I tried with the CD in, but the error still occured (I have copied the CD to disk and was doing the renaming there). I thought that it could not be finding the CD, because my hard-drive is partitioned into multiple drives and my CD drive letter is H:. But that would be really odd behaviour.

Peter

Reply 3 of 4, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My demo.cnf is the same as your game.cnf file:
WJESTERS.PKG 1 0 99 0 0 0

So it seems that problem is in CD detection.
Do you have one or more CD-drives? (try the other one if you do)
Try compatibility modes or switch off compatibility mode. Any difference?
Check if you have message.log file in Pandemonium directory. Any useful info there?

I have no more ideas, since I don't have full CD version I can't try it by myself.

EDIT: if nothing works maybe try to find no-CD patch.

Reply 4 of 4, by woodbrowne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Zebius, apologies for taking so long to give some more feedback.

I tried different compatibilities but nothing worked. I managed to get the game working on my Windows box at home. I think it is a 95, could be 98 though. The problem that I had there was that it was as if autofire on a joystick was on. It skipped through the intros and got to the menu screen There it just scrolled down through the menus and would go into one of them occasionally. I managed to get it to the new game option and start a game, but the autofire problem still persists. I installed it on another win 95 or 98 (don't know) box, but there the game does not start. I installed on another Win XP box, where the game somehow got to the menu the very first time - I was a bit silly though, it was taking too long so I killed the process, and then as it was getting to the menu, the exe was killed. After that I was getting the no-cd error still. I will try and find a patch for the no-cd error and let you know.

Peter