VOGONS

Help!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 40, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by TeeJay I don't know where to check for this partition.

Open up an Explorer window (the file manager, not the Internet Browser), right-click on a drive letter (each partition has it's own letter to identify it) and choose "Properties" (it should identify itself as FAT or NTFS).

Reply 24 of 40, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Coming from an OEM it will almost definitely be NTFS,...

Some had FAT32, at least on the early models...but yes, they're mostly NTFS.

Not with an NTFS filesystem, no. You'll need to reformat your hard drive if you wanna try that.

...and if you did that you might as well set up a Dual-Boot with Win9x.

Do you have a friend with Win9x and a CD-ROM burner? If so, you could install there (making sure the drive letter and location match where it would be on your own PC, IE: C:\TOMBRAID), then archive that directory and it's files to a CD-ROM, then transferring those files to your PC using the CD (make sure to switch off the "Read-only" attribute for all of the files after copying).

Reply 25 of 40, by TeeJay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What IS Win9x? I can ask my friends. I went to ATI's website, downloaded the updated driver for my card (I had 6.113.3268), which is 6.13.3279, and when I went to install, it said this driver wasn't compatible with my card! I found my DirectX version is 8.1, but I downloaded the newest version of 9.0. I intalled that, hasn't made a difference, except when I try using Glidos, now instead of getting an error about Glidos application, and my screen half white, half black, now it goes completely blank again, like it crashed...except it didn't.

Other than some things I've already tried, ATI says go to the manufacturer of game for patches and updates, which we already know EIDOS isn't going to supply a fix for TR in Windows XP, and others similar.

The only 'patch' I know of is using a different version of tomb.exe than the original CD has, in order to make it work with Glidos. However, you keep telling me that not getting TR installed the way it should be, is the greater concern than getting it to work with Glidos.

That's my update for now. If you have anything else to offer, I'm listening....

Last edited by TeeJay on 2003-03-14, 21:21. Edited 1 time in total.

TeeJay

Reply 26 of 40, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by TeeJay What IS Win9x?

8|

There is:
Windows 95 (this is the original Windows 95 Release)
Windows 95A (this is the updated Windows 95 Release)
Windows 95B (this is the updated Windows 95 Release with FAT32 and USB)
Windows 95C (this is the last updated Windows 95 Release)
Windows 98
Windows 98SE (the Updated version of Windows 98)

Every time I refer to these versions of Windows I can list them all out, or I can refer to all of them by saying "Windows 9x", where "x" equals the unknown values. The shorthand version is "Win9x". When someone says their program will run on Win9x, they mean it should run on all these versions of Windows.

To any nit-pickers: Yes, there were other (even more) minor OS versions. I went for the short version of the list. Also, I left off Windows ME because of it's lack of native DOS support. It can be hacked to work in "true" DOS, but it's an OS to avoid anyway.

...downloaded the updated driver for my card (I had 6.113.3268), which is 6.13.3279, and when I went to install, it said this driver wasn't compatible with my card!

A bad omen indeed...

I found my DirectX version is 8.1, but I downloaded the newest version of 9.0. I intalled that, hasn't made a difference, except when I try using Glidos, now instead of getting an error about Glidos application, and my screen half white, half black, now it goes completely blank again, like it crashed...

Tell me you created a restore point in XP like Microsoft recommended, before you did this.

However, you keep telling me that not getting TR installed the way it should be, is the greater concern than getting it to work with Glidos.

Correct. It's not designed to fix problems (except the CD-audio issue). Once you get the basic software-rendered version of "Tomb Raider" running, THEN you can start to reconfigure for GliDOS.

Reply 27 of 40, by TeeJay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now don't freak out on me....no, I didn't create a restore point, but I have several dates right before I downloaded DirectX 9.0, that I can restore my system to, if I have to. So far, I haven't seen any problems, are you suggesting there might be?

I thought that might be what you meant by Win9X, but I've learned now to 'assume' anything, 'cuase you know what that means, right?:P Thanks for confirming for me.

I do have some good news. I not sure EXACTLY what I did, I think it was trying the compatibility mode again on certain files in the TR directory, however, I now have a shortcut on my desktop which automatically goes to the C:\ prompt, loads VDMS and takes me straight into the game. I don't get any of the start up FMV, but I do have all the game noises, I can save and load games...everything works great! I have no FMV in between levels except one, and the one I had, didn't have any sound. Of course, graphics are horrible, I can hardly make out a lion against stone in the Coliseum level from a distance, and a shadow is sometimes a rat.

I don't care so much about the music or FMVs, I have my noises, and I finally got the secret in the tricky jump on block, then side jump, back jump, side jump and forward jump thing...I think that is in the Coliseum level also. Before, I could never hear the door open and shut, so I couldn't get there in time...I GOT IT!

Anyway, I think I am ready to work on Glidos now, for better graphics. What do you think? 😀

TeeJay

Reply 28 of 40, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by TeeJay Now don't freak out on me....no, I didn't create a restore point, but I have several dates right before I downloaded DirectX 9.0,...

Microsoft advises XP owners to create a restore point and I've heard of at least a couple of people that "lost" the capacity to run DOS games properly after installing DX9. IIRC, both fixed their problems by restoring.

I do have some good news. I not sure EXACTLY what I did, I think it was trying the compatibility mode again on certain files in the TR directory, however, I now have a shortcut on my desktop which automatically goes to the C:\ prompt, loads VDMS and takes me straight into the game.

Hrmmm...

I don't get any of the start up FMV, but I do have all the game noises, I can save and load games...everything works great!

Not sure why there wouldn't be FMV. Back up your tomb.exe and install the one for Glidos and see if it works

Reply 29 of 40, by TeeJay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:
Microsoft advises XP owners to create a restore point and I've heard of at least a couple of people that "lost" the capacity to […]
Show full quote

Microsoft advises XP owners to create a restore point and I've heard of at least a couple of people that "lost" the capacity to run DOS games properly after installing DX9. IIRC, both fixed their problems by restoring.
[/B]

I am not having a problem running TR NOW, until I try to use Glidos.

Not sure why there wouldn't be FMV. Back up your tomb.exe and install the one for Glidos and see if it works

Unless I am using the wrong version of tomb.exe, I am getting the same error as I did before, the screen prints I included on a reply (this thread? or 'Tombraider Crash in Windows XP'), which is the screen is part white, part black with an application error...won't run Glidos. The tomb.exe I used before, when Glidos worked for me, but I had no game noises, file size is 873,739, dated in '97.

So what is the deal? Why won't it work for me now?

TeeJay

Reply 30 of 40, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by TeeJay Unless I am using the wrong version of tomb.exe,...
The tomb.exe I used before, when Glidos worked for me, but I had no game noises, file size is 873,739, dated in '97.

Hrmm. You may need to double-check with Paul on this as I'm presently away from my home PC. It doesn't sound right. It should be the "Voodoo Rush" version of the executable.

If you can, you might try and downloading it from here:
http://www.smokeypoint.com/banshee.html#glidos

The download link is right below the words:

use the below package with Paul Gardiner's GLIDOS

near the top of the page.

This may also be a problem unique to your ATI card. Do you have any problems with other OpenGL programs?

Reply 31 of 40, by TeeJay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Don't know specifically which programs might use OpenGL, but I don't have any problems with any programs, other games, CD's or DVD's on my PC. To my knowledge, TR is the only game I have that was meant for DOS and needs the bridge to make the graphics good.

I did get a response from ATI about my problem with upgrading my driver. They suggested uninstalling and reinstalling my driver. I haven't had time to prepare and do all that yet.

I did download the rushtomb zip file where you suggested, and I already had the exact zip file. That is the version of tomb.exe I was talking about, the size, the date created, etc. I am gonna have to take some time to follow through all the junk ATI said to do, and see if that makes a difference, then I'll check out using the rushtomb version one more time.

I'll let ya know how things go....

TeeJay

Reply 32 of 40, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TeeJay wrote:

Don't know specifically which programs might use OpenGL, but I don't have any problems with any programs, other games, CD's or DVD's on my PC.

Well the reason I have my suspicions is that I remember some earlier ATI cards having issues with OpenGL, and I was checking for other GL programs that might have problems. Unfortunately, almost all OpenGL programs will switch to another mode if hardware support for OpenGL isn't working properly. That's good in general, but a headache if you're testing for hardware acceleration of OpenGL. I know GLexcess should work, but even that drops to software mode if the hardware doesn't respond (it will crawl...but it will work).

Hrmm. Do you have Quake3? (the Demo or the Full version) It uses OpenGL only and requires hardware acceleration. That should confirm it either way.

Reply 38 of 40, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

'Catalyst' are ATi's graphics card drivers.
It appears that there are only old reference drivers for the Rage 128, thereby leading me to believe that it does NOT, in fact, have a 3D accelerator.

http://pdownload.mii.instacontent.net/ati/dri … 0926m-1868c.exe
(Rage 128 reference driver download)

You don't need a 3D accelerator to have 3D. Things just need to be processed by your CPU instead of being offloaded to the GPU, thereby slowing everything down.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 39 of 40, by TeeJay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aaahhhh, I see. I will check out the link and see what I can do. I didn't realize you needed an accelerated also....seems more complicated than it should be, ya know, just to play a game!!! 😉

I'll check it out tomorrow, I'm beat, gotta get to bed. Night.

TeeJay