VOGONS

First post, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello all.

I have an USB pendrive (Mr.Flash U172 - 1GB) and I have found out that it's ANNOYING SLOW when writing to it. According to technical specifications it can handle 10MB/s-9MB/s reading/writing speeds but not on my machine. Reading isn't that bad (about 7-8MB/s) but when it writes it does it at crawl speed (no more than 2,1MB/s). Any clues? I have already changed the disk directive to enable write caching on the removable drive. Connected to a working USB 2.0 port (almost 20MB/s when using an external usb 2.0 hard-disk). Drive formatted using FAT32 with 4KB clusters (it doesn't make no difference). My board is an ABIT NF7 v2.0 (nVIDIA nFORCE2 chipset - drivers up to date).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 5, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Writing on flash is always slower than read. When writing, the block has to be erased and rewritten. Both parts take considerable more time than reading on flash memory. It even gets worse over time. Flash manufacturers guarantee a maximum time the process takes for a number of write cycles (i.e. 10000). Now it's not like the 10001th write will fail, but it takes more and more time to reprogram the memory the more often it was written. Until the MCU will eventually fail with time out.

1+1=10

Reply 5 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I actually noticed the other day that for some reason writing to a USB pendrive I had on hand was a lot faster when I was running Knoppix than when I was running XP.