VOGONS

First post, by kmmng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My soundcard is a modern one, so it doesn't have OPL3 synth. I want to play MIDI files and I want them to sound as they were sound on SB16 with OPL3 or something similar.
Is there some driver that adds emulated fm synth midi device ? Or at least a program that plays midi with fm emulation.
I have read here in some topic that it's impossible to use fm synth for midi or it will sound very bad but it cannot be - MIDI commands can be translated to FM and if I have old soundcard with real FM synthesizer that is supported by WinXP, like SB16 PNP, I can use it to play MIDI files just by selecting "FM Synthesizer" in control panel and it will sound exactly as I need, so it is must be possible to do this also with emulated OPL3.
Also, I tried and I can do it by playing a MIDI file in Windows 3.11 under Dosbox, but I don't want to do all that just for playing midi file.
And I have real SB16, but I cannot use it because my new PC doesn't have ISA slots. I have tried to find PCI soundcard with fm synth but I wasn't able to find that. The only card I found - Aztech 3328 have no driver for XP. I think there are more but I have no place to get them.
So what can I do to play midi as I like ?

Reply 1 of 1, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I'd like to know as well so I can do some easy A/B comparisons using my main box as the FM synth and my Retro box playing the Roland Sound Canvas 😀

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀