VOGONS

First post, by atti_simon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All!

I want some feedback on using DOS versions of borland pascal, boland c and DOS Fox Pro ... on DosBox.

So if anyone programmed using these programs in DosBox, please give your feedback about any problems found in programming under DosBox.

Programming language behaviour under DosBox is welcome too!

Thank you in advance!

Reply 2 of 11, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I remember having problems with keyboard using the Turbo Pascal directly in NTVDM ages ago... Not that it would not be usable, but there were some problems. IMHO DOSBOX is better.

I think that Borland/Tubo Pascal/C++ compilers should work ok in DOSBOX. I did not test it recently, but I did it some months ago... I think that at the time there were even fixed some bugs occuring specifically in these programs...

So just try, you should have no problems...

I do not know about FoxBase/FoxPro...

Mirek

Reply 3 of 11, by atti_simon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to try DosBox for the same reason:
-16 bit [DOS] applications like Turbo C 3.1 uses NTVDM.EXE, which makes high CPU usage.
-so if you ever have to use 2 or more 16bit programs at the same time with the native XP dos-subsystem, your PC slows down very much, could be even unusable.

If you have solutions for the native XP/2k Dos susystem's NTVDM.EXE's high CPU usage, post those here. It would help me.

I tried to set the Idle Sensitivity to High, and I tried using the dpakbd.com.

These two solutions, together reduced my CPU usage, but still, if I use Borland Pascal 7 and Borland C 3 at the same time, CPU is too high and the machine is slowed down.

[I must mention that I need this solution for a school, where students learn Pascal, C/C++ and FoxPro with 16bit DOS IDEs]

Thanks

Reply 4 of 11, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
atti_simon wrote:

If you have solutions for the native XP/2k Dos susystem's NTVDM.EXE's high CPU usage, post those here. It would help me.

Your problem is not with the NTVDM, it is with the keyboard handling of the Borland IDE...

For the WinXP NTVDM try this commercial product: Tame for WinNT, Win2K and WinXP.

Hope this helps,

dvwjr

Reply 5 of 11, by atti_simon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

for dvwjr: I can't use Tame, because it's not free. I seek for a free solution for non-production institutes, like a school. 😉

Thanks anyway, dvwjr. 😀

Reply 6 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I remember some command line utilities for NTVDM that perform the same function that Tame does.....can't remember what they were tho. I do know that they were intended for Terminal service environments where people use NTVDM alot.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 11, by atti_simon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I searched over and over for those "commandline utilities"... found nothing usefull...

But!... for others seeking information about NTVDM on XP and 2k, or about DosBox.... :

- the NTVDM high CPU usage CAN be solved with TameDos [version 4 works on XP], or if seeking for a free solution, DPAKBD.COM is the answer.
TameDOS is better, but DPAKBD works also.
- as for DOSBox and 16Bit programming IDEs.... I've tested, not so deeply, Borland Pascal 7 on Dosbox, worked well, but those who have to use it, must get used to work with DosBox.

Links:
http://www.tamedos.com/
ftp://ftp.citrix.com/utilities/dpakbd.zip

I ended using an older version of TameDOS [evaluation], but it was really exciting to "play" with DosBox. So, if someone wants a good dos emulator, I confidently advice him/her to use DosBox.

Keep Up the good work 😉
All my respect,
atti_simon

Reply 9 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't forget that you can get patches for the TP7 compiler (or the TPL libraries, anyway) that will prevent the Runtime Error 200 bug from cropping up in the programs you compile.

Reply 10 of 11, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
atti_simon wrote:
I want to try DosBox for the same reason: -16 bit [DOS] applications like Turbo C 3.1 uses NTVDM.EXE, which makes high CPU usage […]
Show full quote

I want to try DosBox for the same reason:
-16 bit [DOS] applications like Turbo C 3.1 uses NTVDM.EXE, which makes high CPU usage.
-so if you ever have to use 2 or more 16bit programs at the same time with the native XP dos-subsystem, your PC slows down very much, could be even unusable.

I tried to set the Idle Sensitivity to High, and I tried using the dpakbd.com.

These two solutions, together reduced my CPU usage, but still, if I use Borland Pascal 7 and Borland C 3 at the same time, CPU is too high and the machine is slowed down.

[I must mention that I need this solution for a school, where students learn Pascal, C/C++ and FoxPro with 16bit DOS IDEs]

You can replace Borland/Turbo Pascal 7 and Borland/Turbo C++ 3 with FreePascal 2.0 and Free Borland C++ 5.5 (~100% backward compatible 32-bit compilers).