VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What no pnp sb16's have jumpers for the card's settings? I tried to google but did not find much... any info? 😒

Reply 1 of 9, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think all non-PnP SB16 cards have jumpers to set the hardware resources - but I might be wrong here. I know of at least one AWE32 model with an EPROM to store the settings, there might be SB16 models with the same feature.

Models with jumpers I know of:
CT173x
CT174x
CT175x
CT177x
CT223x
CT226x
CT229x
CT277x
CT291x

Reply 4 of 9, by Nagra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Slightly off topic but: Why are pnp sb16 cards "evil" cards?
Cause they often (or mostly) come without jumpers?

Got a pnp Soundblaster 16 vibra in my AMD K6 retro DOS (and very soon Win 98 SE) machine - no problems except one:
For some reason I am not able to play X-Wing (with installed Upgrade Kit) with soundblaster music or just soundeffects. There is only silcence.
I tried it with an old Soundblaster Pro (IRQ 5 and 7) and now the Vibra (IRQ 5).
I got an SCC-1 installed as well and when I select General Midi and Soundblaster for Sound FX the SCC-1 is not playing too. When I choose General Midi only (NO Sound FX / Voices) the SCC-1 works normal.
Somehow my old X-Wing doesn´t like Soundblaster cards anymore.
😕

Reply 5 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have found a kind of workaround... but u need win95/98/me for this...

*download creative pnp manager
*since you have win95+ installed too, you can only run CTCM (and not ctcu to "write" the changes to the sb16 eprom...)
*go to BIOS->PNP config, make "PNP OS Installed" to NO , and then switch the desired resources to "Legacy ISA" or something similar...
*put ctcm on the config.sys
*run windows , go to device manager and select manually assigned resources for the sb16, make the changes u want and press apply
*the changes are written to eprom, so everytime ctcm assigns the resources accordingly

though this is a lame-written guide, I hope u get it 😊 😊
try it and tell me if it helped...

Reply 7 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

since u have a DOS setup, why not try ctcu from the creative pnp manager archive? it might work too...
but win95/98 is good to have in case u wanna use network or usb1/2 for file transfers...

Reply 8 of 9, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

does a CT2911 have a full set of jumpers?

Yes, it has.

However, if you want to connect a wavetable DB, keep away from this model, for two reasons:

1) It has a v4.13 DSP, which causes the "hanging notes" issue, it's really bad with this card.
2) One of the filter capacitors (C108) is blocking the space where the wavetable DB is supposed to be mounted. It is possible to fit it with a bit of brute force, but it might damage the card or the DB.

I have one of them, it sounds quite OK, but it's worthless for General MIDI. If anyone wants it, drop me a PM, I'll give it away for shipping costs 🙄.