VOGONS

First post, by Devcon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an old system and want use it to play my old dos games (PII - S3VirgeDX 4MB+Voodoo I) in a MS-DOS 6.22 System + Windows 95 & Windows 98SE installed.

I have 3 sound cards:

.Soundblaster Vibra 16XV (ISA)
.Advance Logic ALS100 (ISA)
.SBLive! OEM (PCI)

What card sould be the most compatable for the old dos games?

Thanks in advance 😀

Reply 1 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most likely the Vibra. Bleh..

Not sure what the difference between the SB Live! Emulation and the SB cheapo vibra would be. Live! will win out in terms of audio quality but the Vibra will probably be less frustrating.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even better. Most games will work just fine in the Vibra without loading anything in the config.sys autoexec.bat startup files.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 6 of 7, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about the ALS100? According to rumors, this card is SB16 compatible. Did you try it in your rig?

Not all Vibra16 cards are that bad. The common thing with Vibra cards is that they have a different mixer (no bass/treble/in-/output gain sliders) and integrated OPL3 synthesis (no "real" OPL3 chip onboard).
The quality depends on the chipset; I have two very different Vibra cards here:

CT4170 Sound Blaster 16 WavEffects
Based on the Vibra 16XV chipset, this card is a nightmare. It can't take 16Bit DMA channels because it's missing the required traces at the connector. Line-out can be amplified, but it sounds dull either way. There is no wavetable connector or onboard wavetable, the name "WavEffects" is a bad joke. This card seems to come straight out of Creative's marketing hell, stay away from it!

CT2970 Sound Blaster Vibra 16 PnP
This one has the Vibra 16C chipset, and is actually a decent card. The only drawback is the v4.13 DSP, it will suffer from the "hanging notes" problem if you connect a General MIDI daughterboard. The line output is very clean, much better than on older SB16 models. If you are not going to use the MIDI port, this is a recommended card.

Reply 7 of 7, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was using a Vibra for a while until I got an awe32
It is a CT2890 Vibra16S PnP IDE DSP 4.13 daughterboard connector

It has a real OPL3 onboard (YMF262-M)

Type win to loose the power of your computer !