VOGONS

First post, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just interesting - whether there are among you those who still uses analog modems in your countries and living places, have still active FIDO points and surf real (nonweb based) BBS if it till now live ofcourse?

Or global web has absorbed you completelly? 🙄

Reply 1 of 3, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't used a modem in 6 years probably. The last one I messed with personally and not for business was a USR Courier I got for $2 and wanted to mess with.

Basically, once I got on the WWW and the global Internet in ~1994-5, I gave up almost entirely on dial-up BBS's immediately.

But, what do you think forums are? And IM? I'd say nothing has been lost. Of course, there's nostalgia.

Reply 2 of 3, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, nostalgia - this is only one reason why i'm still dial to survived bbs around me 😀

Here even appears new boards - ofcourse for nostalgic purposes of their sysops 😀

In middle '90 i used ZyXEL U1496E+ External modem with 19200b/s max.

Now i'm use legendary USR Courier v.34 v.everyting ISA 25mhz (Canada) which i'm bought 2 years ago for 50 bucks! (payed for immaculate condition). USR Courier series still extremely popular and useful here in Russia and these modems no so cheap - around 10~50$

Last edited by aleksej on 2006-10-19, 19:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BBS games are still being kept alive.

I started using BBS's back in 1990 and stopped using them back in 1997.

Alot of people still play BBS games like tradewars online or LOTR.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline