VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello!
I finally grabbed a LAPC-I card, that works, but on my pentium 166mmx system it has problems, in fact inserting the lapc makes the system unable to boot.
the card is working on 386sx system, but on the pentium no. I have it on the same settings as my scc1 card. is there incompatibillity between p5 systems and lapc-i? I also use a usb pci card, maybe that is the prob?

Reply 1 of 14, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think there would be any incompatibility with the pentium processor itself, as I use my LAPC-I in a pc with a pentium 233mmx. Your best guess would be to boot the pc before adding the LAPC and then check the device manager if there are any other cards which use the same I/O and IRQ.

If that doesn't conclude anything, it could well be that the ISA-bus on your pentium hasn't got the rarely used -5v rail implemented. The Roland LAPC-I is one of the very few cards which uses it (I think, not 100% sure), and as such some motherboard manufacturers left it out.

Hope that's of some use for you.

Reply 2 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well, there is no irq/address conflict, because the scc-1 that works has irq2/port330 as well....
that is interesting about the -5v , the mobo is a cheap one of the era, what make model is yours? perhaps on ebay there is some I can get too....

Reply 3 of 14, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

what make model is yours? perhaps on ebay there is some I can get too....

It's an ATC-5040 from A-Trend, think the BIOS date is 1998 or something like that. Should accept your CPU as well.

Reply 5 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the psu has this white wire...
I got this better mobo instead, with intel chipset, atx size, atx psu, onboard video....
http://86.4.178.186/garoag_/viewdescription.p … e62b1d0&no=3887
also it is from Packard Bell, so it must be good, not the faster but I hope it does not miss any lines! 😅

Reply 6 of 14, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
StickByDos wrote:

-5V come from the white wire of the psu and it is missing on some psu.

While we're at it, I'd like to confirm something: so it actually depends on PSU instead of the motherboard itself, doesn't it?

I have a Soyo 845PE motherboard (a Pentium 4 mobo, actually), and it has three ISA slots. Yes, a Pentium 4 mobo with ISA slots.

As long as I have a right PSU (the one with -5V white wire) , I can put an LAPC-I card on that mobo, can't I?

Reply 8 of 14, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

read more carefully.
my psu hs also the -5v line, but the card won't work.
try and see....

Ooops.

Makes me wonder, though. Do you overclock your mobo's FSB speed? I remember reading somewhere that overclocking FSB speed may cause some older cards refuse to work. I don't remember all the details exactly, though (or did I read it here?)

Nonetheless, it seems to be motherboard problem, am I correct? And if that's the case, how do we tell whether the mobo's ISA slots got the -5V rail implemented?

Reply 9 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

no, overclock at all....
seems to be a mobo fault, it was a cheap one...
I don't know any way to test, unless u plug a similar card and see what happens , 🤣

Reply 10 of 14, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Measure it... Ask Google for ISA bus pinout. I wouldn't call it ISA bus though if it hasn't got the -5V.

Another thing you can try is playing with the I/O recovery time settings in BIOS (if any).

1+1=10

Reply 11 of 14, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems strange that a SCC1 would work in a system where a LAPC-I doesn't. Did you look for mechanical problems as well? The LAPC could have been prevented from making good contact with the ISA slot because of physically interfering components on the mainboard or inside the case. After all, the LAPC-I is a real full length card, very easy to collide with other stuff.

h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Another thing you can try is playing with the I/O recovery time settings in BIOS (if any).

Good idea. And while in the BIOS setup, also make sure your ISA clock divider is set right. My LAPC-I stops working when the ISA bus clock is 12 MHz or higher.

Reply 12 of 14, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good idea. And while in the BIOS setup, also make sure your ISA clock divider is set right. My LAPC-I stops working when the ISA bus clock is 12 MHz or higher.

For an 8-bit card, the LAPC-I should be run at a 4.77MHz clock. However, I have had no trouble getting my LAPC-I to run in a machine with a Pentium II 450MHz.

However, keropi has an interesting problem. The LAPC works in the older computer. That computer undoubtedly has a -5v line, presumably supplying about 500mA. The LAPC-I needs 50mA. It is probably due to a crappy motherboard.

Reply 13 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes, it is a crappy mobo, I cannot find the model or make, I had to look pics of pentium mobos, to find a bunch oem ones that look exactly like that (except colors and minor details).... bah!
I hope the new intel made one is better....

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 14 of 14, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some modern PSUs don't provide -5V even if they have white wire

I installed a PSU FSP Blue Storm 350W on a P2B-L
It has white wire but bios report an error during post: -5 deliver nothing

With an old 145W PSU on the same mobo, I get -5V

Type win to loose the power of your computer !