VOGONS

First post, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got this monstrosity as a bonus with some Ebay item awhile ago. Dunno if it even works -- I have no cable, no EGA monitors, and no information about this card but from the looks, it is four-monitor EGA. Four identical chips on the left are all 82C435 EGA controllers (http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pd … /4/82C435.shtml), the single square chip on the right is matching 82A436 bus interface. I can't tell if all controllers are addressable or they just produce the same output -- I think it's the second case even if it looks like a very inefficient design.
82C435 is actually enhanced EGA, capable of 800x600. If four chips on this card were individually addressable then it would be capable of producing equivalent to 1600x1200 EGA mode 😲

Attachments

• Filename
    IMG_0428_small.jpg
    File size
    154.49 KiB
    Downloads
    200 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 4, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's probably easy to find out the pinout of the connector (follow the EGA signals from the chips to the 4 output drivers on the top right [probably 74*244 ttl chips] and from there to the connector).

> or they just produce the same output
No sane engineer would use 4 CRT controllers in that case 😉
Finding out the addressing would be the more difficult part imo.
But maybe the BIOS even has routines to address all of the chips.

1+1=10

Reply 2 of 4, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't tell me you never saw insane engineer 😉 . Here, it would be rather bad case of insanity, though. Those 32 memory chips are Samsung KM41464AP-12 -- if I understand correctly, this card has 1M or RAM (http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/vi … 41464AP-12.html). One hell of EGA card...

Reply 3 of 4, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1MB on the card, is it 256kB for each chip ?
This card can just be 4 256kB ega on the same pcb for multiple display.

Type win to loose the power of your computer !

Reply 4 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah, most certain a multi-monitor EGA display card, with breakout cable to be used in airports/stock market or whatever....
4x256kb ega cards.... perhaps each one can show different things if there was the right software controlling it.