VOGONS

Revised list of Voodoo games for DOS.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 118, by Riboflavin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would put up a section for Voodoo 1 only DOS games, but so far only Dreams to Reality seems to be in it.

I've been trying to figure out a way to get this game to go! Changing enviorment variables, but so far all I can do is change the duration of the 3Dfx logo spin at startup.

I have a debug version of the 3Dfx Dreams executable, but I can't make heads or tails of it myself. Anyone know how to debug in Watcom's C? 😕

Here's the liost of Voodoo 1 only games according to the old Moody Voodoo 2 FAQ:

Dreams to Reality (doh!)
Ignition
Jetfighter 3 Platinum
Roland Garros 98
Space Girl Demo
Worldwide Soccer with D3D patch

... although the only game on have here is Dreams. Anyone know anything abut the rest of these games?

Terminal Velocity removed.

Thanks all for the help!

**Don't forget to enjoy the sauce**

Reply 22 of 118, by slipkord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

FYI, I had personal experience in playing Ignition, only played it on Win 95/98 though. And there was a Voodoo2 patch for Ignition, but *only* for the Win 9x platform.

As for Ignition with out-of-the-box support for Voodoo 1 cards under DOS, I can't confirm that as I don't have a Voodoo 1 card to test it.

Reply 23 of 118, by Riboflavin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Woohoo! Archimedean Dynasty indeed works great with both a voodoo 1 and 2 in good ol DOS!

The 3dfx patch is here...

http://www.bluebyte.net/eng/products/archimed … y/p_updates.htm

Game is very nice too if you can get ahold of it.

*cough* *underdogs* *cough*

Reply 24 of 118, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Riboflavin wrote:

Woohoo! Archimedean Dynasty indeed works great with both a voodoo 1 and 2 in good ol DOS!

Great! 😀 What are the environment variables, by the way?

Riboflavin wrote:

*cough* *underdogs* *cough*

?

Reply 25 of 118, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*cough* *underdogs* *cough* -> means u can grab the game on underdogs website

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 27 of 118, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

*cough* *underdogs* *cough* -> means u can grab the game on underdogs website

Duh.

keropi wrote:

also there are DOS patches for Blood at least, u don't need to be in windows to use glide with it, it uses glide.ovl , a dos library...

Where to get it?

Also, since Blood uses the same engine as Duke Nukem 3D (does it?), is it possible to use the patch to play DN3D with GLide support?

Reply 28 of 118, by Riboflavin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Archimedean Dynasty didn't seem to need any environment variable changes, or am I missing something? Once I installed the patch, I could run it without setting any of those GLide variables, and man it worked flawlessly! This was probably the easiest DOS GLide game I've gotten to run so far.

Extreme Assault also looked like it was going to work, but I haven't given it the complete test yet. Looks like another high quality game from Blue Byte.

Yeah, Blood is the next one I'm planning on trying. ANY help these is appreciated, since I think I tried it a couple years ago without success.

Duke Nukem 3D in GLide? Hehe... that would be cool, but seems unlikely to me.

Reply 29 of 118, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

there is no point in playing glide versions of dn3d/blood/shadow warrior!

they don't turn the game more 3D, they just apply billinear filtering on the screen, nothing really special or usefull....
all these games use the same engine, but only blood uses it's voxel spacing in some sprites, like graveyard crosses or weapons...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 30 of 118, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

there is no point in playing glide versions of dn3d/blood/shadow warrior!

Yes, but for a different reason. For all games except Blood exist very good modern source ports.

they don't turn the game more 3D, they just apply billinear filtering on the screen, nothing really special or usefull....

And your point is? If applied correctly this games are much better looking and more easy on the eye. So for me it this point would be very useful.

all these games use the same engine, but only blood uses it's voxel spacing in some sprites, like graveyard crosses or weapons...

Shadow Warrior as well.
Although if you apply the normal 3DFX patches you will loose this ability and have to resort to the normal bad looking sprites. (The source port doesn't have this problem)

So with Blood I agree with you: It is better without the 3DFX patch, especially since this is also a Beta version and causes all sorts of extra troubles like missing movies.

Reply 31 of 118, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

bilinear filtering does not make those games look better! they were never designed to look like that. they look blurry.
if you want to make them look better use vesa 640x480 or above res modes.... really, I had tried them , I saw no speed increase and no point using 3dfx patch, UNLESS for some reason you are stuck to 320x200 res ...which is unlickely in 2007

Reply 32 of 118, by Riboflavin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It might be blurry, but it's still pretty satisfying seeing the game work with real hardware.

And yeah, this isn't the BEST most of these games can look. Since Glidos and source ports are available, getting them to look and perform their absolute best takes the latest PC, etc, etc. $$$

Personally, I get a kick out of building a 90's dream machine I could never afford when it was new, on the super-cheap.

I haven't gotten Blood to work yet, but all the games I've gotten to work so far have a lot more improvements than just Bilinear Filtering. Anti-aliasing , a framrate boost, and sharper shadows come to mind.

It's all in the engine used I supposed, and Blood's 3D engine, from what I remember reading, was not well tailored for Glide. Even if Blood doesn't have major improvements (and indeed even flaws- if the movies are missing plus glitches), it would still be interesting to see it work. I guess I won't care too much if I can't get it on a second attempt tho, given the flaws mentioned.

Cool! Thanks for the info on Ignition and the patch, Slipkord. After a little bit of a search (and mucho broken links) I found a link for the patch. It's still here, but I don't know for how long. I might give it a try if I can find the original game also even if it is win-only.

http://www.hnb.rtk.net.pl/Ignition/download.htm

Reply 33 of 118, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

bilinear filtering does not make those games look better! they were never designed to look like that. they look blurry.

I guess that is only a subjective view because you got used to the old graphics. This whole thing is just a matter of personal opinion.
Especially the source ports look way better! But if you like it better the other way around, no problem. 😉

But I was referring to this sentence of yours:

they don't turn the game more 3D, they just apply billinear filtering on the screen,

So? Actually NO 3Dfx turned the games at that time more "3D". To apply bilinear filtering (and speeding up the game which is irrelevant on modern computers) was the ONLY purpose of these patches.
Still I think that bilinear filtering is a very neat thing to have and improves the general look of the games.

Reply 34 of 118, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

Well I guess "look better" is a subjective term, although during that time, bilinear filtered (read: blurred) textures were much better than blocky, pixelated textures. 😉

However, so it is possible to play DN3D with 3dfx patch, isn't it? And where to find such patch?

Riboflavin wrote:

Archimedean Dynasty didn't seem to need any environment variable changes, or am I missing something? Once I installed the patch, I could run it without setting any of those GLide variables, and man it worked flawlessly! This was probably the easiest DOS GLide game I've gotten to run so far.

That's great! If only every GLide games out there run well without environment variables.....

Reply 36 of 118, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

I doubt a DN3D 3dfx patch ever existed. For that there's ports (but it's not the funny glitchy 1.3d version though but beats no acceleration at all)

Wait, what's the glitchy 1.3d version? A DN3D version that support acceleration? And what ports do you mean? You mean there are DN3D ports for accelerated graphic? (I mean, DN3D being ported to Direct3D?)

Reply 37 of 118, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1.3D was the initial retail release. No, it doesn't support 3d accelleration. Yes, there's ports, and this one is the most well known one

http://jonof.edgenetwork.org

The most advanced one is eduke32 of course

http://www.eduke32.com

Both ports use Ken's POLYMOST and render the game in OpenGL (optionally). The classic renderer is still in there (yay) It's based on the 1.5 codebase which fixes some 1.3d things like warps and double kicking.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 38 of 118, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

The most advanced one is eduke32 of course

http://www.eduke32.com

Both ports use Ken's POLYMOST and render the game in OpenGL (optionally).

DN3D with OpenGL. Kewl!

By the way, anyone play EF2000 2.0? It's yet another DOS GLide game --a very old GLide game that's supposed to run on Voodoo1, but I remember the environment variables to run it on Voodoo2. Now I haven't tested the variables myself because I only find it on a Google group.

SET SSTV2_GRXCLK=90 
SET SSTV2_FT_CLK_DEL=0x4
SET SSTV2_TF0_CLK_DEL=0x6
SET SSTV2_TF1_CLK_DEL=0x6
SET SSTV2_VIN_CLKDEL=0x1
SET SSTV2_VOUT_CLKDEL=0x0
SET SSTV2_TMUMEM_SIZE=2
SET SST_SLIDETECT=0
SET FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL=0
SET SSTV2_SCREENREFRESH=60
SET SSTV2_FASTMEM=1
SET SSTV2_FASTPCIRD=1
SET SSTV2_SWAP_EN_WAIT_ON_VSYNC=0
SET FX_GLIDE_NO_SPLASH=1
EF2000.EXE

I don't remember the URL of the Google group anymore, but I still have the MHT file. Anyone interested to have a copy can mail me at kreshna.iceheart at yahoo dot com.

The Google group said that it is impossible for EF2000 to run on Banshee or Voodoo3, but it seems V3 users can substitute SSTV2_ with SSTV3_ (or SSTH3_ for Voodoo5).

Reply 39 of 118, by Riboflavin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

YES!!!!

I got Blood to work. On both a Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2 SLI.

But there's good news and bad news.

The good news:

It's none other then the One Unit Whole Blood version available for download right from the Glidos site. Full version!

http://www.glidos.net/blood.html?lang=en

Another piece of good news is it required no modification other than running setup for configuring sound cards, and dropping a glide2x.ovl file into the same directory that you know will work with your card. Then just exit to DOS and run 3dfx.exe.

The bad news...

The screen is really blown out and the menu items don't show up properly. The game runs, however. Probably some enviornment variables need to be set first, or maybe some modifications of the ini file made for Glidos. Still investigating. Exact same behavior on a Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2 SLI. Voodoo 2 seems to be faster tho. 🤣

I see what keropi is refering to to a certain extent. The 800x600 vesa 2 setting in the setup.exe file shows a LOT more detail off in the distance. Not available, of course, in the 3dfx version. Still, it is that 3dfx look that I like, I can tell this can look good even if the screen is blown-out. I'll get to tweeking this now...