Revised list of Voodoo games for DOS.

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 118, by Riboflavin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heh... Well that was too easy. Only one enviornment variable is needed:

set BUILD_GAMMA=0.9

That's it. Yeah. It's blurry alright. But it's smooth, nice framerate (better motionm at least on the Voodoo 2 SLI) and good transparencies versus the original in 800x600 vesa2 mode.

I'm hard-pressed to say which is BETTER, but the Voodoo2 version suits my tastes anyway. 😊

**Don't forget to enjoy the sauce**

Reply 49 of 118, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:

While this may not be the proper discussion to ask in, but has anyone developed a list or know of Windows games that will only work with an original Voodoo 1 card?

I've been asking the same question since a couple of years ago, GR. 😉

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 51 of 118, by Riboflavin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MDK is a game with a DOS version that works, but is not Voodoo. MDK has a Glide version that works, but only under Windows.

The only Voodoo game I can find that absolutely refuses to work with a Voodoo 2 is Dreams to Reality. I've spent HOURS on that sucker trying to figure out why, watching the #Dfx logo spin tantalizingly and then freeze. Changed every enviorment variable i can find, run from a window, from different versions of DOS, with bootdisks... Still no idea. But if I swap the V2 card for a V1 card it just goes. I actually think I might need the original game source code to find out why, and even then... sheesh... I wouldn't bet on myself.

As far as DOS Voodoo 1 games that work with Voodoo 2 pretty much everything else just goes just fine or has a working method... Tomb Raider works fine with the batch code env. variable routine. Blood works great... the version right on the glidos website in fact. GTA 1 works good, so does Red Guard and Descent 2.

That's by no means a complete test of all these game listed. I don't have a copy of most of them, but I'm hoping to test them as i find them and time permits. Any updates here appreciated too. i have access to a Banshee and a Rush as well, but I don't know how interested in those anyone would be.

-Riboflavin

**Don't forget to enjoy the sauce**

Reply 52 of 118, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know this is an old thread, anyone still watching? Just want you guys to know this has been a gold mine for me. Tons of information here that I have recently been looking for.

-bytes

Reply 53 of 118, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is it about some earlier games that makes them incompatible with some later Voodoo cards? Did 3DFX not take backwards compatibility into consideration when changing from one generation of Voodoo cards to the next or is it a programmers error?

Reply 55 of 118, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only Voodoo game I can find that absolutely refuses to work with a Voodoo 2 is Dreams to Reality.

I'm curious. Are there any DOS games that work better on a voodoo1 instead of a voodoo2 ? I am speaking in terms of a true DOS system doing hardware speak only.

I have a couple voodoo1 and voodoo2 cards that I'd like to put into a system. But I've never tried mixing the two. Guess I'm looking for an excuse to install a voodoo1.

-bytes

Reply 56 of 118, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, early games with statically linked Glide AFAIK work only on voodoo1 (EF2000, Fatal Racing aka Whiplash, ...)
This was how 3dfx handled backward compatibility, a separate GLIDE2x.OVL (.dll in Win32) for each voodoo card. Some early games/demos however had the code statically linked in.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 58 of 118, by fdlchris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It may have already been answered but I just want to ask if either Magic Carpet 1 or 2 have support for 3Dfx Glide? I have never been able to find out and all the search results I have trawled through are rather ambiguous.

Are there any 3Dfx Glide patches for any of the Magic Carpet games?