VOGONS

First post, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure I'm posting this in the correct forum so move this if I'm not. I was wondering what would be the best way to backup my current DOS hard drive. I was thinking I could remove the hard drive and slave it to my XP box and then use a DVD or DVD's to back it up. Would this work? I suppose the DOS drive is FAT16 file system so would this cause problems? Is there a better way to do this? I have got the DOS drive configured just the way I want it which took a lot of work and I don't want to lose it if the drive dies. Another question I have is what is the biggest hard drive you can use with DOS? I have a spare 80 gig drive lying around which is only about a year old and hasn't been used much. I would like to use it with a DOS machine as I am currently using an ancient drive and I don't know how much life it has left in it.

Rick

Last edited by rick12373 on 2007-03-02, 19:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Sure - moving the drive to another machine will work. But I would try something else.
Do you have a serial or parallel port on the DOS machine? If so, you can install LapLink and use that to transfer the files.

http://www.laplink.com/support/faq/faq2.asp?ID=299

That is what we used to do when the world was still young and innocent.

Or you could get a cheap Ethernet-card, and use something like Acronis True Image. It boots a live Linux kernel of a CD and can then use the Ethernet-card to access and store drive-images located on the hard-drive of your XP machine. The Ethernet card should not cost you many cents, and True Image can be downloaded as an almost fully working trial, so you can easily check if it will work for you.

Last edited by MiniMax on 2007-03-02, 19:11. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 10, by Riboflavin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Coupla questions:

Are you using Dos 6.11 or 7.0 (the one on Win98 boot disks)? Dos 7.0 can handle Fat32 HDs, which is much less of a limitation. If you stick with Dos 6.11 and you put the 80 gig drive in your machine, you're going to have to partition everything to something like 2 gigs max.

Is your retro comp able to recognize the 80gig? If so you're in good shape there. If not, you either need to update the BIOS on your motherboard, or cap the drive at 30gigs if it's got a jumper for that.

I'd recommend backing up your drive if you've worked hard on it for sure. Burning the whole contents to DVD is not the best way to go. The reason for this is it will turn all your files read-only and might truncate long filenames and/or directories. Solution? If you back up to a DVD, put everything into a big zip file.

If you can boot your XP machine with the DOS drive attached as a slave, one trick that's saved me is just copying the whole contents of the tiny drive onto a folder on the XP machine for safe keeping. If your DOS machine can boot into win 9x and is networked, you can copy the drive contents over the network instead.

I hope this helps.

**Don't forget to enjoy the sauce**

Reply 3 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would use ZIP or RAR to compress data first (Adds CRC check) and to reduce size before copying/moving the files.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 10, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay. Let's see if I have this right... I can slave the DOS drive to my XP box and then create a ZIP file which I can then burn to DVD? In order to restore this I could slave the new blank HD I want to use to the XP box and then extract the ZIP file to it and then hook the new restored DOS drive to my retro rig? Would there be any issues with this?

I am using DOS 6.11. If I want to hook up the new 80 gig drive will it just read it as 2 gigs straight off? I don't mind if it does. The main purpose of doing this is to put a newer more reliable drive in the DOS machine and not to give me 80 gigs of DOS drive which is far too much for me anyway.

The Laplink idea is nice. Although if slaving the drive works okay I don't mind doing that anyway.

Thanks for all the help so far guys! 😁

Reply 5 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

For restoring to a blank drive, you would first want to FDISK, FORMAT, and SYS the drive on the retro PC. And then put the files back.

You should be able to get more than 2 GB out the 80 GB drive. I had an old PC with a 4 GB drive in. IIRC, I had it partitioned into 4 x 1 GB, with one of the partitions dedicated to the OS and programs, one for my documents, and the 3rd for images of my Win95 CD, and my driver files. I don't remember what I had on the 4th (but it is always nice with a spare).

Reply 6 of 10, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do i have to partition it or do you have to in order to be able to use more of the hard drive?

Reply 7 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You MUST partition it. But no-one is forcing you to make more than a SINGLE partition 😀

I don't remember the details, but I believe that an FAT-16 partition can not be more than 2 GB. An FAT-32 can be larger - maybe 32 GB or something.

But the major problem you will have with the BIOS is, that in order to "reach" further into the drive (and not just work on the outer edge of the drive), the BIOS must know how to address / direct the read/write head far into the disk. And some BIOS'es only know how to handle small "disk-addresses" (cylinders, heads, and sector numbers).

It is a little bit of an art....

Reply 8 of 10, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I think I remember that now. It's been a while since I last did that. Thanks for the help everyone.

Reply 10 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2000/XP/2003 limit FAT32 partitions to 32gb when formatting. You need to use DOS v7 or some other utility to create a partition bigger than that.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline