VOGONS

First post, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mainly out of curiosity, I downloaded GUSemu the other day. The problem is, I can't seem to get it to work.

Here's the sequence of events:
-I start GUSemu using Start->Run.
-I open a new DOS window.
-I change to the directory where I unzipped the sample GUS apps provided at the GUSemu website.
-I run ultrinit. The GUSemu tray icon turns red.
-I start gusplay. A Windows message box pops up:
"Unable to play sound - the Creative SBPCI Wave Device is in use by another application." No sound plays.

Naturally, I have no other sound-producing programs running when I try this. I've even tried disabling some of the Windows event sounds. I also do not normally have problems with sound in games that I run in a DOS window. In fact, as long as GUSemu is running, I can't even use other Windows programs to play sound.

I am running Windows 98 on a P2 333 (ASUS P2L97 motherboard), and my soundcard is a Sound Blaster Ensoniq with the latest available drivers.

Has anyone else tried this program and had better results?

Reply 1 of 5, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the dos program probably tried to play some soundblaster sound, so soundcard switches to soundblaster mode and takes over the sound device.

Reply 3 of 5, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The sound card could be arrogant and ASSUME you want SoundBlaster audio whenever a DOS window is initiated... who knows? GUSEmu doesn't even work for any commercial games as far as we've been able to tell (only for demoscene stuff, and even then only some of it).

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Jorpho -I start gusplay. A Windows message box pops up:
"Unable to play sound - the Creative SBPCI Wave Device is in use by another application." No sound plays.

Do you know whether your soundcard drivers are VxD or WDM? It might be related. Win9x allows for applications "taking control" of hardware, so this error is not uncommon.

Naturally, I have no other sound-producing programs running when I try this.

Obviously, the OS thinks there's something running.

Even if something RealPlayer's "Start Center" could trigger something like this...appearing dormant while actually active.

Has anyone else tried this program and had better results?

Yes, but only for demos. I can startup GusEmu, then start CARTOON.EXE just fine. Can't find any game to work with it.