VOGONS

First post, by PertsajaKilu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I have been lurking for a while and now joined in. Great cite glad that I found this out. I mostly play old games. Now I am playing Xcom3 btw.

I have this old Hercules thriller 3d which is based rendition verite 2200 chip. It's a pci-card with 8Mb memory, bt848 or something tv-decoder if I remember right and svideo- / composite- in/out.

But the picture quality sucks great in wind95 and no driver support for win98. And no decent working driver or software support for another video functions. Have anybody any knowledge about this card or any info of working drivers. I have found drivers from hercules but they are same than installation cd-drivers.

Seems that this cards support was dropped before it was fully working.

PertsajaKilu

Reply 1 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The latest drivers for V2200 are at this site:
http://www.micron.com/support/itg/dl.aspx

It will work fine in Windows 98. The bad picture quality is caused by the card's output circuitry (not the GPU). A lot of cards from those days had bad analog output quality.

I have a Thriller 3D myself, but it's the 4 MB version. Also have a couple of Diamond Stealth II S220 cards (4 MB V2100) and a red V2200 card with all the output options on it (some sort of reference card). None of them have exceptional output quality. You usually had to get a Matrox card to have good quality back then.

Reply 2 of 8, by PertsajaKilu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

Thanks! I had back then when I used the card so lousy monitors that didn't notice bad image quality. But now I have couple good old crt-monitors and it nearly hurts to watch. Matrox had and still have good picture quality. Voodoo 3 is not that bad than Hercules but no good. Recently I build old pc ( Fujitsu pentium pro ) and searched what old stuff I still got.

What I found:

- Hercules
- S3 Trio 64
- Matrox Millenium II
- Tseng et6000 ( never tried that one )
- few Sound blaster 16 / vibra
- Voodoo 3
- loads of old memory, hard disks

Pity that I have thrown away Voodoo Banshee and what is was Matrox MD3, I don't remember orginal manufacturer. I might find really old Cirrus video/sound card which was integrated in same isa card. I don't remember it's name. What is sorry that I have thrown away all my old 468 / pentium / amd boards. Anyway I don't have cases.

And what I most need I bigger home. 😀 Then I can keep three or four puters at home if I get own"work"room. Now they are stored in my workplace waiting that bigger home.

PertsajaKilu

Reply 3 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh yeah I know what you mean by needing lots of room. I have lots of old hardware too.

It is a disappointment that the Verite cards have such bad quality. But, in games where the resolution is low, they look fine. It's when you try to push a high res and refresh rate that they fall apart.

Remember that their plain VGA performance is absolutely terrible, too. That was one very strange aspect to them. But, if the game uses VESA modes, they are not slow at all.

Have fun with that stuff. I built a Pentium Pro not too long ago as well. Such a fascinating bit of hardware, they were. Used a Intel Venus VS440FX mobo, one of the PPRO 200 Mhz w/ 1 MB cache (cheap on ebay!), 128 mb RAM. I have a newer hard drive in it tho because I can't stand old whiny bearings anymore. I found a 12x CDROM for it because the old games that run off the CD are too noisy in modern drives that spin at 5000 RPM.

It's pretty sluggish in Windows XP or 2000, so I just use Windows 98 SE on it. Quite fast with that. Very fast for DOS games! Especially those that have any 3D graphics; PPRO has a great FPU and that fast cache is excellent.

Reply 4 of 8, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got a legacy machine not to long ago
it was from an office running win95 so i wasnt expecting much
but it was a p3-450 128mb ram with a voodoo 3 card and a aureal vortex 2 sound card - RESULT.......

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 6 of 8, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PertsajaKilu wrote:

I have this old Hercules thriller 3d which is based rendition verite 2200 chip. It's a pci-card with 8Mb memory, bt848 or something tv-decoder if I remember right and svideo- / composite- in/out.

I have exactly the same card. Did you manage to set the refresh rate higher than 75 Hz? If yes, how?

Reply 7 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

i think the trick is to use Powerstrip to set refresh. Or drivers other than the reference drivers. Diamond's Stealth II S220 drivers are better at that stuff, but they are older than reference so worse for 3D.

Reply 8 of 8, by PertsajaKilu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have exactly the same card. Did you manage to set the refresh rate higher than 75 Hz? If yes, how?

Yes, my refresh rate is 90 Hz. With Hercules drivers settings tab. Hadn't do anything special tricks.

PertsajaKilu