VOGONS

PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 440 of 1046, by HalfMinute

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Packed ScreamTracker 3 issue is fixed in last revision. Great job, Sarah. Looks like it should fix a whole bunch of stuff.
On that note, I just disabled emm386 and tested Fast Tracker 2. And PC speaker works fine . With enabled emm386 it hangs emulator. So can you please check FT2 with emm386 enabled ? It might be a similar problem, that you couldn't reproduce because of it.

Reply 443 of 1046, by HalfMinute

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Regarding FT2. Host processor Core 2 Quad 6600 2.4Ghz. I guess its some timing issue. Another thing, for some reason when you setup soundblaster alongside GUS in FT2, GUS is sounds considerably louder. Maybe its supposed to be that way, i don't know. FT2 doesn't work properly in DOSbox, so i have nothing to test against.
Incredible machine 1 is fixed, nice! There is a similar problem with Dangerous Dave 2, which is not completely fixed. Its abit harder to reproduce, screen starts blinking after you jump a few times in the start.

Reply 446 of 1046, by HalfMinute

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SarahWalker wrote:

I meant the setup in PCem. I don't really care what your host machine is.

I've removed soundblaster and gus from setup, to make it cleaner. This way FT2 defaults to PC speaker and mouse pointer hangs right after start up. Without emm its working fine.
1394379405-clip-20kb.png

Attached autoexec.bat and config.sys just in case. Using ctmouse.exe as mouse driver.

Attachments

• Filename
    ft2_conf.zip
    File size
    516 Bytes
    Downloads
    81 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 457 of 1046, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks for these fixes and info Sarah.
Well, 1024x768x32bit, 1152x864x32bit (Mach64 GX only), on windows 3.1x or 9x, show some mess in the right side of the desktop, here's an example:

Attachments

• Filename
    32bitcolor.png
    File size
    27.24 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 458 of 1046, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the DOS/V problem isn't fixed yet, but the OS works fine with /HS=ON but not without any parameters in jdisp.sys.
Considering that DOS/V 6.20 has the default setting in config.sys after it is installed, the part about the scrolling should be documented, so, is it possible to fix it too?

Reply 459 of 1046, by Battler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SarahWalker wrote:

1024x768x32 isn't available on the Vision864 or Trio64 as those cards don't have enough memory bandwidth to implement it.

It defintiely is, the original Windows 3.1 drivers for it list the mode, as does Windows 9x when you install the included S3 Trio64 driver. True though, by default it was sold with 2 MB VRAM or less, and therefore did not support that mode, but it was upgradable up to 4 MB VRAM, and at 4 MB VRAM it definitely supported that mode. The fact the VESA mode list returned by the BIOS, as well as the drivers themselves, all list his mode, clearly tells me the mode is supported.

Edit: FPM DRAM or EDO DRAM, not VRAM.

I also second the request to fix the problem with DOS/V (Japanese DOS). Basically, when JDISP.SYS (the DBCS display driver) is run in the default configuration (that is, without parameters), PCem shows a black screen. I think that's because it uses a 640x475 mode (since it uses a 8x19 font for the single-byte SBCS characters) that PCem doesn't recognize. Therefore, it seems PCem's hardware scrolling doesn't work well in that mode.