VOGONS

PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 106 of 1046, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting project!
I tried it today, and it works well for me on the main PC.
On a slower system (Intel Atom) it puts out sound (clicks and pops) most of the time, regardless of the settings.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 109 of 1046, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
justincase wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
justincase wrote:

2. Shuttle HOT-433 with Award BIOS machine

Perhaps if you need this feature that badly, you could explain what possible use it might have?

I made that request because the HOT-433 AMI BIOS doesn't fully work in PCem.

Yes? And why should anyone care?

For that matter, what do you mean by "doesn't fully work"?

Reply 110 of 1046, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I may reply to that question too:
The old HOT-433 BIOS v1.3 is working fine for me: 433AIP16.ROM. With the text mode windowed BIOS user interface.

The later BIOS'es have reboot issues, or do not boot at all. Though at the time of trying them, I was also messing around with the proper settings for the 40MB harddisk image.

Reply 111 of 1046, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerwin wrote:

If I may reply to that question too:
The old HOT-433 BIOS v1.3 is working fine for me: 433AIP16.ROM. With the text mode windowed BIOS user interface.

The later BIOS'es have reboot issues, or do not boot at all.

I have no documentation for the UMC chipset used by the HOT-433, so was forced to guess the shadow BIOS controls (which are required by BIOSes at this point in time). I didn't guess entirely right, which is why very few BIOSes for this board work. This isn't going to change unless someone comes up with a UM8881F datasheet, and to be honest it's not something I'm that concerned about - the AMI BIOS on my site largely works, and there are other boards that can be emulated.

Reply 112 of 1046, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I initially thought it would give the benefit of PCI cards, but all the graphics ROMS work with the 486 VLB systems too.

I was also messing with the 286, which is new for me.
Unfortunately EMM386 does not work and EMM286 takes too much base mem, but there is no other way to get EMS. Maybe an emulated EMS board would fit here.

Regarding the CPU: playing wolfenstein 3D with a SX CPU works fine. But selecting a FPU equipped DX system gives lower framerates, and slightly warped walls.

Not complaining, just having 'fun' with PCem. 😀

Reply 113 of 1046, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, you can load just about any random AMIBIOS and it will boot on this emulator.

To the developer, if you want to emulate the SiS 471 ISA/VESA and 496/497 PCI/ISA/VESA boards, the datasheets are here: SiS 486 Chipset Datasheets

Reply 119 of 1046, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Usually for issues in Windows it's bugs with page fault handling, when CPU state is not restored correctly following the faulting instruction. In this case chance stack alignment meant that a far CALL instruction faulted between pushing the return selector and address, and the stack pointer was not restored correctly.