VOGONS

First post, by kneedragger37

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok --

I took a break from this problem and now I'm back to it, and it is quite persistent. I actually swapped motherboards to see if maybe I had a bad PS/2 mouse header.

I'm now using an FIC PT-2200. I checked the BIOS and the PS/2 mouse support is turned on. FIC publishes the pinouts for the PT-2200 mouse header on their website, and RAM technology publishes the pinouts for their PS/2 motherboard connector on their website, so I know for a fact the correct wires are connected to the proper pins. The red light does light up on my optical mouse, but just in case I swapped it out with a ball mouse as well.

I tried Mouse.exe versions 8.2 and 9.1, MMouse.exe, and CuteMouse. Nothing will detect either mouse on my PS/2 port. It might work with one of the serial ports, but I don't have a serial mouse or adapter.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated....

Reply 3 of 7, by kneedragger37

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, tried v2.0a4 and v1.9 of cuteMouse -- still no go. Is it possible that both of my mice are just not compatible with cuteMouse?

Reply 4 of 7, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

They don't even detect the mouse? I've got to look it up, but think they use
the bios, so something is pretty wrong. Maybe check the connectors inside
the pc case if they're accessible.

Reply 5 of 7, by kneedragger37

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wired the connector according to the specs from the connector manufacturer and the motherboard manufacturer. As I said, I've also swapped motheboards, so I doubt I have two bad headers in a row.

I've also tested the wires on the motherboard to ps/2 connector for continuity - no problem there.

I've used 2 mice, a labtec optical mouse, and a generic ball mouse -- don't know the manufacturer, but it says "browser mouse" on the bottom. I'm wondering if the mouse protocols for these mice are just not compatible with cutemouse -- would i be better off using a name brand mouse from microsoft or logitech? That's the only thing i can think of at this point.

Reply 6 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure the connector is still good? Sometimes you can test those by sticking pins or wires into the appropriate holes and using an ohmmeter to check if they're actually connected to the other end.

Otherwise, and I guess this is a long shot, but if it's not the motherboard and if it's not the mice, maybe your power supply isn't putting out enough juice?

Reply 7 of 7, by kneedragger37

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

GREAT IDEA, JORPHO!!! Turns out the connector wasn't broken, just wired incorrectly. I tested the contacts against the diagram I THOUGHT told me how to wire it, turns out the diagram was completely wrong! The only wire that was right was the 5v power wire, which is why the optical mouse light turned on. Once I re-wired it, it works fine, and cutemouse recognizes any mouse I plug in! Thanks for the help!!!!