VOGONS

First post, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have had some speed issues with old DOS games with my Pentium Pro 180mhz rig...mostly due to the P. Pro's large 256kb instruction cache
The characters in for example Ultima VII look like they were on speed 😁

So which Pentium I model do you guys recommend? I wanna built a perfect old DOS gaming rig for games from around 1990-95...I plan to use an ASUS P5A ATX mobo with a super socket 7 for this job, original SB16 CT1740, Roland Lapc-I + a Voodoo 3000 AGP card

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 2 of 15, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So what you say is that the speed + cache size doesn't matter? 😕 doesn't make sense to me...

Reply 3 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pentium/MMX 166MHz-200MHz is about good for almost everything. It pretty much was the standard bar in 1996 until the Pentium II 233 arrived.

A MMX-less pentium (100mhz/150mhz) is good too (nearly the speed of the 166MHz in Quake) though in most 16-bit console emulators and some sound systems it would be quite slow.'

I've heard compatibility nightmares about the Pentium Pro so I never seriously considered buying one then.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

ultima 7 doesn't have a builtin speed control I recall. So the only way to get the characters move at the right speed is to have a slow pentium. pentium 75 maybe although i that might even be too fast allready

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I *think* Ultima 7 played kind of ok on my Pentium 100 back then (or maybe it was 90) since this was the first machine I played U7 on. Btw. only affects Ultima 7 Part I, Part II Serpent Isle did have speed control.

My Pentium MMX 200 was "good for almost everything" (like leileilol wrote).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 15, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

I *think* Ultima 7 played kind of ok on my Pentium 100 back then (or maybe it was 90) since this was the first machine I played U7 on. Btw. only affects Ultima 7 Part I, Part II Serpent Isle did have speed control.

My Pentium MMX 200 was "good for almost everything" (like leileilol wrote).

mmm...the Pentium I only has 8kb primary cache and 16kb secondary cache....any my P Pro has 256kb cache or even 512kb..not sure..

I have a spare 200 and a 233mhz P1 mmx I will use then, thx for the advice guys 😀

Reply 7 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pentium (P5, P54) has 16KB L1 cache. It's a split L1 cache, 8KB for instructions and 8KB for data. Pentium MMX (P55C) has 32KB, split in the same way. This is where most of Pentium MMX's performance improvement came from; double-size L1 cache.

Pentium Pro has 16KB L1, and 256KB to 1MB L2 in the other package cavity next to the CPU die.

Pentium II gets the 32KB L1 cache like Pentium MMX, but it loses the fast cache memory. Luckily they doubled the L2 size though (compared to the popular 256KB PPRO). And MMX. This makes it much better for gaming than PPro, IMO.

PPro is actually going to be at somewhat of a disadvantage to PMMX in some games. MMX is used occasionally. Unreal won't let you have high quality audio without it, for example. Unreal's software renderer is heavily optimized for MMX, too. I've messed a lot with a PPRO 1MB in the past couple years. I actually have one or two PPRO 1MB CPUs that will overclock to 233 MHz.

Any of these CPUs is fine for DOS though. A 200MHz Pentium is probably more than adequate for just about any DOS game. Pentium MMX 233 MHz (the top) is probably the sweet spot, or something, 🤣.

Reply 8 of 15, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Pentium Pro has 16KB L1, and 256KB to 1MB L2 in the other package cavity next to the CPU die.

Pentium II gets the 32KB L1 cache like Pentium MMX, but it loses the fast cache memory. Luckily they doubled the L2 size though (compared to the popular 256KB PPRO). And MMX. This makes it much better for gaming than PPro, IMO.

My candidate Intel CPU would be the upgrade for any system running a Socket 8 PPro 256kiB/512kiB system - the Intel Pentium II Overdrive Processor. This Intel CPU ran at either 300MHz or 333MHz depending on the motherboard FSB speed selection of 60/66MHz.

This upgrade Pentium II Overdrive CPU was offered in a 300/333MHz version, had an integrated cooling fan, 32Kib L1 on-die cache, 512Kib on-card full-speed L2 cache RAM, support for the MMX instruction set and was drop-in replaceable for the Pentium Pro in any Socket 8 based system - single or dual CPU configuration. It had an advantage over the normal Intel Pentium II processor in that its L2 cache was twice as fast as it was 'full-speed' where as most Pentium IIs had 512Kib of on-socket L2 cache that operated at 'half-speed'. Plus the Pentium II core now executed 16-bit code as fast as 32-bit code.

CPU benchmarks shown that the Intel Pentium II Overdrive 333MHz upgrade processor comes very close to the performance of a 'regular' Slot 1 Intel Pentium II 350MHz. The Pentium II Overdrive was really a mini-Socket 8 version of the Slot 2 Pentium II Xeon server processor. The other advantage the Pentium II Overdrive processor over the Slot 1 Pentium II (and the original Pentium Pro) is that the maximum main memory cache limit of the 82440FX "Natoma" chipset of 1,024MB can now be reached since the L2 cacheability limit of the Pentium II Overdrive processor is 4,096MB RAM due to its Pentium II Xeon roots. The normal Slot 1 Pentium II and the original Pentium Pro have an L2 cacheability limit of 512MB RAM.

Works well with 'newer' protected-mode DOS titles such as SYSTEM SHOCK...

dvwjr

Reply 9 of 15, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

Btw. only affects Ultima 7 Part I, Part II Serpent Isle did have speed control.

I played Ultima 7 Part I: The Black Gate on my old Pentium 100, and Moslo worked fine. I think Moslo should be able to slow down the game on Pentium 180 as well.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 10 of 15, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Dominus wrote:

I played Ultima 7 Part I: The Black Gate on my old Pentium 100, and Moslo worked fine. I think Moslo should be able to slow down the game on Pentium 180 as well.

Thanks, gonna give moslo a go 😀

Reply 11 of 15, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:
Dominus wrote:

Otherwise, you can play Ultima VII on newer machine with DOSBox. 😉 Or you can use Exult. Nonetheless, let us know the result, would ya?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 12 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah dvwjr I forgot that PPro has a lot of trouble with 16- and 8-bit code. I know that in Duke Nukem 3D, for example, a Pentium MMX is a good bit faster at the same clock rate. Apparently Build engine uses a lot of such code.

PPro can really beat up a Pentium in floating-point heavy games though, such as Quake. Those really are pretty rare situations though. Most DOS games that use the FPU weren't built to need that kind of FPU performance....

Those PPRO overdrive chips are very nice, but also very hard to find and often quite expensive because of their rarity.

Reply 13 of 15, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:

Otherwise, you can play Ultima VII on newer machine with DOSBox. 😉 Or you can use Exult. Nonetheless, let us know the result, would ya?

I'm a sucker for real hardware and emulators are againt my religion so there's no chance I'm touching DOSBox 😁

I'll let you guys know the results 😉

Reply 15 of 15, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:

Since it wasn't mentioned so far, did you try to disable the caches on your Pentium Pro machine?

Nope, gonna check if I can disable the on die cache