VOGONS

First post, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been trying to figure out if the Pentium 90 was ever produced as a Socket 7 chip or only Socket 5.

If it was produced as a socket 7 chip, could I replace it with say a 233MMX Socket 7 chip or would i still depend on the motherboard?

Reply 1 of 7, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Socket7 mobos support socket5 CPUs, socket7 just add support for split voltage used in Pentium MMX

You just have to set your cpu voltage to 3.3V instead of split 2.8/3.3V

Type win to loose the power of your computer !

Reply 3 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
StickByDos wrote:

Socket7 mobos support socket5 CPUs, socket7 just add support for split voltage used in Pentium MMX

No, I'm pretty sure they were "Socket 7" CPUs before the MMX came out. You make me not so sure, but I think I had quite a few motherboards that had a Socket 7 connector but not split voltage support.

http://www.redhill.net.au/c/c-6.html seems to suggest that the Pentium 90 was just Socket 7.

Reply 4 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

He's just saying that you need socket 7 if the CPU needs separate core and IO voltages. Pentium MMX can't be used on socket 5 without a voltage adapter.

I believe the reason that Pentium 166 and 200 (non-MMX) don't work on Socket 5 is insufficient multipliers, not voltage requirements.

Reply 5 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

He's just saying that you need socket 7 if the CPU needs separate core and IO voltages. Pentium MMX can't be used on socket 5 without a voltage adapter.

Both true statements, but not all socket 7 motherboards necessarily support separate core and IO voltages. The Wikipedia article has a statement to that effect.

I hadn't actually heard of those voltage adapters before. I guess they were in specialized upgrade kits? (I remember reading about something by Evergreen that might have been a little like that.)

Reply 7 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WolverineDK wrote:

Very nice page you found there! 😀

Jorpho wrote:

I hadn't actually heard of those voltage adapters before. I guess they were in specialized upgrade kits? (I remember reading about something by Evergreen that might have been a little like that.)

Yup, upgrade kits. Basically a CPU with a PCB in between it and the motherboard socket to set different multipliers and/or change voltage. Sometimes you need a new BIOS too though.

I believe you can stick a Centaur Winchip2 in socket 5, btw. The original Winchip2 and 2A do not use the split voltage. They have MMX and 3DNow. Would probably be as fast as Pentium MMX per-clock. Maybe a bit faster for integer-based calculations.
http://www.sandpile.org/impl/c2.htm