VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a rare opportunity to purchase a Voodoo 5 5500 in either its PC AGP or MAC PCI iterations. I would like some advice on which to buy. Here is where I see the advantages of each:

PC/AGP
Half the price
Greater AGP thoughtput

MAC/PCI
No problem with overclocked AGP slots on BX boards
DVI connector

In my opinion, the clear winner is the PCI version, especially if you are using a BX board above 100MHz. This old Anandtech article shows that it is only a fraction slower than the AGP version:
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=1292&p=1

The AGP bus gives the graphics card exclusive bandwidth, the PCI bus requires the graphics card to share bandwidth with a whole host of peripherals, including the hard disk drive controller, PCI sound cards and Ethernet adapters to name a few.

For a couple of years, I used a Geforce 256 with a BX motherboard running at 133FSB without apparent problem. One day, however, I got white streaks in my video and had to replace the card. I do not know whether overclocking had anything to do with it. The Geforce 4 also worked OK. But for such magnificent vintage hardware, why risk shortening its lifespan? This assumes that it will work at all at the higher bus speed. If you will not encounter this problem, then the AGP card becomes a much better option.

DVI gives crystal clear digital images, VGA does not. VGA offers an easy connection to multiple resolutions without ugly interpolation. But if you have both, so much the better.

Reply 1 of 8, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have both cards
The agp version works perfectly on a P3B with 440BX
I have heard VSA-100 only support VGA output, DVI is made from vga signal through a Silicon Image converter chip
The pci version can work on recent mobos who don't support 3.3V agp

Type win to loose the power of your computer !

Reply 2 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'd definitely go for the PCI version. I wish I had one instead of the AGP one 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 8, by kreats

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

StickByDos: Interesting! So using a LCD monitor (with an vga input) on a pci v5500 would be equivalent or better (depending on the ADC in the monitor) than the mac pci v5500?

If so, saves me about a hundred bucks as I already have a pci v5500!

Reply 4 of 8, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The agp version works perfectly on a P3B with 440BX
I have heard VSA-100 only support VGA output, DVI is made from vga signal through a Silicon Image converter chip

Where did you hear this? I need more information before I can make an informed decision.

Reply 5 of 8, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have looked at my V5 mac
DVI output is driven by a Sil164CT64 chip
According to its data sheet, it has 24bit digital input, contrary to what i said earlier, VSA-100 seems to have a digital output.

Type win to loose the power of your computer !

Reply 6 of 8, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
StickByDos wrote:

I have looked at my V5 mac
DVI output is driven by a Sil164CT64 chip
According to its data sheet, it has 24bit digital input, contrary to what i said earlier, VSA-100 seems to have a digital output.

Excellent, I'm glad I waited for your response. I know now what I will buy. The Voodoo 5 is not a perfect card by any means, but its has a true place in my system's design.

Reply 7 of 8, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got some questions:
-How much is a PCI Voodoo 5500 with DVI output worth? (there are 2 on ebay now one for 100$ and on for 120$)
-Is the performance hampered by the PCI bus?
-Is it easy to flash it with a PC BIOS? (I assume DVI will still work?)

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 8 of 8, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Definitely unhampered by PCI Bus, all 3Dfx chipsets were designed with PCI in mind and none take make advantage of the AGP 66mhz speed increase. Some would say that their AGP parts are somewhat slower and less compatible than their PCI versions too.

I've personally never heard of people having issues cross flashing from Mac to PC bios.