VOGONS

First post, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I won an AWE 64 Gold (Plug N Play version) on Ebay several months ago and it seems recently that it's gone from displaying 4MB of Sample Ram to just 512K, or sometimes none at all. I've made several Windows 98 intsalls on several machines, and they generally say 512k. I've downloaded the Awe Control panal and the latest drivers from Creative every single time, so I'm beginning to beleive thagt either the card is damaged somehow, or Creative has put poisened drivers on their website.

Anyone exerianced similar, or have any thoughts?

Reply 1 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps the memory module has come loose, or the connector's dirty? I'm assuming it's a version that uses one of those proprietary plug-in modules. (That's one thing the AWE32 has going for it - standard SIMM sockets.)

I'd imagine you should be able to test it from DOS using AWEUTIL, anyway - no need to keep reinstalling in Windows over and over again.

Reply 2 of 10, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

Perhaps the memory module has come loose, or the connector's dirty? I'm assuming it's a version that uses one of those proprietary plug-in modules. (That's one thing the AWE32 has going for it - standard SIMM sockets.)

I'd imagine you should be able to test it from DOS using AWEUTIL, anyway - no need to keep reinstalling in Windows over and over again.

That was my first thought too, but the Gold card comes with 4MB soldered onto the board. What happens if you try to load a 4MB patch?

Reply 3 of 10, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're right, it is soldered to the board, and I beleive in two 2Mb chips, which is why the %12K number confuses me.

The DOS Diagnose just skips right over the ram check.

Loading the 4MB Soundfont says I have insufficient memory.

Reply 4 of 10, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe your system has not enough allocated memory for that, have you tried freeing more memory?

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 6 of 10, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What happens if you try DOS programs supporting the AWE RAM, like Cubic Player? It works independent from any installed driver stuff, and shows the amount of available RAM in the "device" section of the fileselector.

Reply 7 of 10, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found that menu, but I see no mention of any type of ram in the devices menu.

Having since swapped around some cards from this machine, it now says the Gold has no ram. The SB32, also has no RAM (despite 8MB being on the board)

EDIT: It's showing 512K again. And I can continually install the 'updated' driver.

Reply 8 of 10, by samudra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The fact it not only shows 512kb instead of 4mb, in DOS, but also changes between 512kb and 0kb points out insistently it is (partly) broken.

We are all dealing here with 10+ year old hardware.
The possibility it is broken is not only not unlikely it is very probable.

Defective motherboards or PSU can also cause all kinds of weird problems that can be totally deceptive. If the other machines you tried it on all use a different PSU that would rule it out.

Reply 9 of 10, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

could it be that you have an AWE-64 value that has 512kb of ram
maybe youve installed the gold drivers thats why things are messing up ???

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 10 of 10, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nope. I have a gold 64 (RCA outs) and an SB32 with 8MB simms. You're all probably right about it being old and broken, though I can't help but find it suspect that two function peices of hardware stop functioning in similar manners at the same time. Not to mention the rest of the cards function fine.