Reply 40 of 122, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ive got terracide
has a 3dfx logo on the box

from the readme
When you first install Terracide, it gives you the option to install DirectX.
This is Microsoft's system which ensures Terracide will run on all machines,
whether unaccelerated, MMX accelerated, or 3D accelerated, and you should
install this version of DirectX (V3.0a) over any earlier versions you have on
your machine. If you install another game or application, and Terracide then
fails to load correctly or becomes unstable, this could be because an earlier
version of DirectX has been installed, either with or without your permission.
Please reinstall the version of DirectX on the Terracide CD and try again.

For the MMX version of Terracide, it is important to remember to install the
MMX option when installing DirectX. NB - due to an unfortunate bug in DirectX,
it appears that you can install the MMX option on DirectX3.0a by _not_ ticking
the MMX option when it becomes available to you.

ps: despite the 3dfx logo on the terracide box i beleive it supports the card via d3d not glide
there are drivers on the cd and the voodoo drivers appear to be d3d only

from the 3dfx drivers readme :

Included Files
--------------

DD3DFX.DRV - Direct Draw Driver
DD3DFX16.DLL - DirectDraw 16 Bit DLL
DD3DFX32.DLL - DirectDraw 32 Bit DLL
FXMEMMAP.VXD - Voodoo VXD for Mapping Memory
MSVCRT.DLL - Microsoft Redistributable File
VOODOO.INF - INF File for installing Drivers
README.TXT - This File

other drivers on the cd :

Directory of Z:\DRIVERS

30/04/1999 16:10 <DIR> .
30/04/1999 16:10 <DIR> ..
30/04/1999 16:10 <DIR> ATIRAGE
30/04/1999 16:10 <DIR> MYSTIQUE
30/04/1999 16:10 <DIR> PERMEDIA
30/04/1999 16:10 <DIR> POWERVR
30/04/1999 16:10 <DIR> VIRGE
30/04/1999 16:10 <DIR> VOODOO

ps: are you sure pod gold supports s3d i only remember glide and d3d

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 41 of 122, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So Terracide is a DX game afterall ? This is what it said on the S3 Planet page about this game:

Terracide Demo
This game does indeed support S3 cards natively, as shown on the graphic selection screen, but I was unable to get it working properly. When playing with Direct3D, it still looks very good, with all the effects intact. But I'd rather be playing Descent II...

Back to POD, I have POD Gold, and it came with the following executables (supporting different chipsets):
-PODATIX.EXE
-PODFXM64.EXE
-PODMAX64.EXE
-PODD3DX.EXE
-PODPVRX.EXE
-PODS3DX.EXE
-PODX3DFX.EXE

Maybe they only change some settings and doesn't natively support all those APIs, although the 3DFX one does ask me for glide2x when I launch it.

It also comes with Windows launchers:
-WPOD3DFX.EXE
-WPODATI.EXE
-WPODD3D.EXE
-WPODPVR.EXE
-WPODS3D.EXE

EDIT: OK, I launched the launcher (...) under windows, and it lets me see all the different install methods, this are all the different install options (it also says what the requirements for each one are):
-Playable config with ATI Rage Card (req. ATI Card)
-Playable config with S3 Virge Card (req. S3D Card)
-Playable config with 3dfx Card (req. 3DFX Card)
-Playable config with PowerVR (req. Power VR Card)
-Playable config with MaxiSound

This is under windows, as I said earlier, there are more executables for DOS (listed above).

Reply 44 of 122, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you can run it on DOS, filtered and all, doesn't that means it's using the S3D api ? Don't think you can use D3D under DOS...
The box came with the S3D logo on the back.

Reply 46 of 122, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anybody know how to get ati tombraider working? I tried Rage II+, Rage IIc and Rage Pro with latest drivers, but it is always black and green colors only, kinda matrix effect. I guess some older version of 3dcif library should be working.

Reply 47 of 122, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Putas wrote:

Does anybody know how to get ati tombraider working? I tried Rage II+, Rage IIc and Rage Pro with latest drivers, but it is always black and green colors only, kinda matrix effect. I guess some older version of 3dcif library should be working.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to create a new thread instead of rezzing a year old thread that's not even on topic 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 48 of 122, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This list was published in Secret Service 56 (4/98 )
It was said there that they will continue updating the list on their www.
Does anyone know if they really did that and maybe have or know where to find it? (It was a "biggest selling computer games magazine in Europe" after all, before they sold themselves to germans...)
Does anyone know whether other magazines published similar lists?

Attachments

Reply 49 of 122, by fdlchris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Going back to the original post on this thread:

Did anyone have any experience of running the game, Terracide in the 3Dfx Glide API?

Does anyone know for sure if it supports it or not?

I don't understand why they have the 3Dfx logo splashed on the front of the box if it doesn't even support Glide.

I got this game (via Abandonware) specifically to play it in Glide, but I had no such luck. It will only run in DirectDraw or Direct3D using the 3Dfx card.

Reply 50 of 122, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think the game has an actual Glide renderer; the game also claims to be "Rendition ready" but I have never found an RRedline renderer either. You might want to check the readme file (i.e. also for possible command line options), but from what I've seen the game uses purely D3D in accelerated mode. Developers probably did that because PowerVR/Rendition/3Dfx cards had good D3D feature support and performance at the time.

EDIT: Just read Davros's post above.

Last edited by Pippy P. Poopypants on 2011-08-12, 10:31. Edited 2 times in total.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 51 of 122, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"3dfx best special effects award" have nothing to do with supporting glide
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/terraci … CoverId,124774/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/terraci … eCoverId,86076/

BTW, I have heard that Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee have glide support for explosions etc. Does anyone know anything about it? I caouldn't make it to work with 3dfx, and don't see any patches anywhere.

Reply 53 of 122, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've never heard of such a thing either, for either Oddworld game. Maybe it was planned somewhere along the line but never materialized. Regardless, I don't see how using 3Dfx features (or any 3D acceleration features in general) would make the game look any better.

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ

Reply 54 of 122, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok so is this all the API
DirectDraw, Direct3D, S3D, Interl 3DR, Brender, RenderWare, MiniGL, Speedy3D, RRedline, Heidi, GCL, Dos/WinGlide, ATI 3D CIF, OpenGL (ICD), MSI, PowerSGL and MeTaL
Any other Just wonder

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee have glide support for explosions etc

I think you mean more like MiniGL or just a small part of OpenGL subset 3D API that maybe what was used in that game.

Reply 55 of 122, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DirectDraw/Direct3D, OpenGL (including MiniGL), 3DR, BRender, Renderware and HEIDI are not proprietary to any hardware. And I think you mean GCL = CGL (Creative Graphics Library), which was used on a couple games shipped with Creative Labs' 3D Blaster PCI and VLB cards. Also not sure if the NVIDIA NV1's proprietary API had a name.

Also interesting to mention is that the Rendition V1000 didn't have a native API under Windows 9x until early 1997 (as RRedline wasn't finalized until that time).

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ

Reply 56 of 122, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pippy P. Poopypants wrote:

DirectDraw/Direct3D, OpenGL (including MiniGL), 3DR, BRender, Renderware and HEIDI are not proprietary to any hardware. And I think you mean GCL = CGL (Creative Graphics Library), which was used on a couple games shipped with Creative Labs' 3D Blaster PCI and VLB cards. Also not sure if the NVIDIA NV1's proprietary API had a name.

Also interesting to mention is that the Rendition V1000 didn't have a native API under Windows 9x until early 1997 (as RRedline wasn't finalized until that time).

I think GCL mean's Graphics C++ Library
As for CGL (Creative Graphics Library) is just a heckup custom ver of min other API.
It seem I forgot all about WinG which now know as DirectX
As for NVIDIA NV1 the biggest initial problem was its cost and overall quality was partially functional silicon and fact that product quickly ended when Microsoft announced the DirectX specifications, based upon polygon rendering and was no match for the native polygon hardware on the market at the time.
Only 4 PC game ever made but there lot of Saturn games where made

Reply 57 of 122, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CGL was for 3D Blaster VLB, which used a stripped down 3DLabs Glint 300SX, called Game Glint. So the API was probably related to 3DLabs somehow.

There's also a little known Yamaha 3D accelerator called RPA. Rendering Polygon Accelerator, YGV611 and 612. I bet it has its own fun API as well.

Reply 58 of 122, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

CGL was for 3D Blaster VLB, which used a stripped down 3DLabs Glint 300SX, called Game Glint. So the API was probably related to 3DLabs somehow.

There's also a little known Yamaha 3D accelerator called RPA. I bet it has its own fun API as well.

Oh that old 3D Blaster VLB card that was base on Geometry Processor which was only good for one thing CAD scaling design tools and yes 3DLabs Glint chipset called Game Glint and was by 3DLabs.
I belive that Yamaha 3D accelerator was base on Reality Lab 3D API.
Oh that Yamaha YGV612 Rendering Polygon Accelerator = Western Digital Paradise Tasmania 3D which die so that only model that ever made with that chipset.

Reply 59 of 122, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think Reality Lab was just limited to the YGV611/612, but then again, I don't know very much about that card other than the fact that DirectX-supporting drivers never materialized. Either way, I would believe that the games that shipped with it don't look much different from their original counterparts when using the card's "enhanced features."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_Lab

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ