VOGONS

First post, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a lot of nice old joypads sitting around that I'd still like to use sometime. The problem is, of course, that they're all gameport joypads and not USB, and my new PC has no gameport.

I suppose the obvious thing to do would be to get a slightly-old PCI SoundBlaster card and use its gameport, but this is a fairly cheap PC and PCI slots are limited.

So what other options do I have? Are there in fact USB-to-gameport adapters out there? Do they work very well? Do any of Creative's external sound devices have gameports?

Reply 1 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'd go for the gameport to usb things. They are around at least on ebay (just search gameport usb). I have no clue whether these are good or not, though.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 11, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some motherboards have a gameport/midi header.

Check your motherboard manual.

If you're lucky, then you can get by with something like this:

14-000012222.JPG

Reply 3 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nifty. I bet you'd end up paying as much for one of those as you would for a USB-to-gameport adapter, though.

I suppose I could check the motherboard, but this was a Compaq PC bought on clearance a couple of months ago, and I doubt it has something like that - or is such a header a common feature of AC97-compatible chipsets?

Reply 5 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

such a header is fairly common, almost every motherboard with onboard sound i bought had this. Check the manual of the machine. Probably dell has it around for download.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't get around to looking at this until now.

The motherboard is one of these (see also here). Lots of solder points, but not really any unusual headers.

Now, there is that little four-pin doodad at the bottom of the board labelled "AUX IN1", but surely that's the Line Input connector listed under "internal connectors", no? It certainly doesn't look anything like Mr. Salminen's connector.

Reply 9 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So, since USB-to-gameport adapters are picky and this motherboard has no gameport header, what would be the best way to go? I notice that Creative's more recent PCI cards don't even have gameports anymore. Is there a particularly good model that is still useful for lots of other things but also has a gameport?

Reply 11 of 11, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Audigy2ZS , you can plug a gameport header on it

X-Fi don't have gameport

I have heard that gameport and mpu401 are not supported anymore with vista

Type win to loose the power of your computer !