VOGONS

GUS, my old friend...

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can anyone educate me on the way "GusEmu" works. I can run a demo from the command line (while GusEmu's running on the Desktop), the Demo will "see" the emulated GUS and happily play the audio portion of the demo.

I tried several GUS-supporting games and none of them worked. Nor does it appear that anyone else seems to have tried this before (although I sure some have).

I just don't get how a Demo works fine and game gets "nada".

Reply 1 of 7, by ZakKrack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A demo always uses direct commands to the GUS`s proc., the games usually through an audio system, which handles the GUS as a normal sound card. Which GUS based game didn`t work for you?

Zak, proud owner and user of a GUS PNP Pro, and a GUS Max, former GUS ACE owner. 😀

GUS forever. I`ll never use another sound card.

Reply 3 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZakKrack wrote:

A demo always uses direct commands to the GUS`s proc., the games usually through an audio system, which handles the GUS as a normal sound card.

Well, actually, these were DOS games which directly "hit the hardware". Tried matching the IRQ & DMA config to what the emulator specified, no change. Not even noise.

Which GUS based game didn`t work for you?

Can't remember the titles at the moment. I tried several though...

Zak, proud owner and user of a GUS PNP Pro,

I, too, have a PnP Pro. Now all I have to is find where it went...

GUS forever. I`ll never use another sound card.

Unfortunately, even the best won't last forever. This is why I'm interested in it's Emulation before the hardware (and it's related data) is lost to time...

Reply 4 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

I've always wondered myself how GusEmu worked. (eg. It never did. :p)

Odd. Actually worked much better under XP than Win98 for me. In any case the "Cartoon" demo (in his GUSAPPS.ZIP file) worked fine for me in both Win98 and XP.

You may need to preload patches into it. *shrug*

Some games need to load music "patches", some don't. Tried both types... *shrug*

It DOES come with a manual. Try reading that,

Did. Didn't even find a reference to games. Detailed "Demo" compatibility list, though.

...or email the dude about it.

Probably what I need to do.

One good thing, he start updating it again recently (v.90 released on 2 Aug 2002).

Reply 6 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've an old version of Cubic Player. Wonder if it will work with that. (AFAIK it checks to see if the card is there...)

http://www.cubic.org/player/

Hmm, Cubic's been recently updated too (well, as far as Cubic development is concerned, 7 months ago is recent...)

Link to GUSEmu for those who don't know it already:
http://listen.to/gusemu

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto