VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Installed this card in to a P3-based mobo. When it plays sound effects, the effects sound *much* faster than they ought to be. Like 10 times faster than they should sound.

Reply 3 of 9, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello.

I tried the following -

device = c:\proaudio\mvsound.sys d:1 q:5 s:0 m:0 j:0 t:1

But the sound effects are still *much* too fast. Please note that during the PAS16 setup, I selected not to have SB emulation, and also not to use the joystick port or also not to have MPU-401 emulation.

When I play a dos game, the music sounds like a typical soundblaster - it sounds like typical FM chip based music. I am completely new to the PAS16 - is this the only way it can play music, or is it possible to have the PAS16 music sound better than your typical soundblaster? (Is it as good as a GUS for example?)

When I run the PROAS.exe program, I see the following information -

Spectrum Information

IO Port: 0388
IRQ #: 05
DMA #: 01

Thunder Board Information:

Active: 00
Port: 0200
IRQ #: 00
DMA #: 00

The board has a 16-bit DAC
We have the MV101 chip.
MV 508 mixer.
The FM chip is a OPL3
There is an enhanced SCSI interface.

Thanks very much for any additional assistance.
Best regards, Robert.

Reply 5 of 9, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thrillo wrote:

On a related note, is the PAS16 a SBPRO-compatible card, or is it only SB 2.0-compatible?
I've seen conflicting information about that on these forums and the rest of the internet.

It's SBPro compatible....

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 6 of 9, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thrillo wrote:

On a related note, is the PAS16 a SBPRO-compatible card, or is it only SB 2.0-compatible?
I've seen conflicting information about that on these forums and the rest of the internet.

That's because people keep spreading misinformation...

The PAS16, and all MVD101 derivatives are NOT SBPRO compatible. Mediavision's later, non-PAS cards are, however.

Robert,

Try a DMA setting of 3 or 5, along with IRQ 7.

Reply 7 of 9, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the DMA setting of 3 or 5, along with IRQ 7 suggestion. Please let me try this asap - but *right ATM* I have removed the PAS16 card to test out another sound card (awe32 ct3990) which I am also having problems with!!

Reply 8 of 9, by Thrillo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like I won't be getting a PAS16 then. I was hoping that it was a solid SBPro clone with additional features, but I guess I'll have to keep on looking around for the perfect DOS sound card...

Reply 9 of 9, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Message to Cloudschatze:

Re: "Try a DMA setting of 3 or 5, along with IRQ 7."

Using the PAS16 install.exe utility, I tried these values, and also a lot of other combination values as well. Unfortunately, whenever I use the PAS program called "play.exe" located inside the c:\proaudio folder to play the test file called "test.wav", it always sounds much too fast.

I also tried running this PAS program - "playfile.exe", but it displays the following error message -

A Pro AudioSpectrum /CDPC card is not installed!

Please note that if the PAS16 sound card is just a "sound effects" card, rather than a musical card (like a GUS for instance), then I am not interested in spending too much time in trying to get this to work.

Thank you, best regards, Robert.