VOGONS

First post, by Galve2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

A friend of mine pointed me to this site in hopes that I might get a work-related windows-only app on my Mac and instead I found something infinately more interesting:

a ton of information about how I might play my old Sierra adventure games in their full General MIDI glory on a newer system, which is something I haven't been able to do since I gave up my last PC with an ISA slot many, many years ago.

once upon a time I purchased a Turtle Beach MultiSound Monterey and was absolutely floored by jump in sound quality from by Sound Blaster Pro.

I've been doing some research and figured that a good bet for good Wave-table-synthesis MIDI card for my vintage games would be the TB Montego II, but the more research I do, the more I realize that this is a card that only emulates DOS support (which is the same infuriating nonsense I had to deal with in the Monterey era) -- but I found one on eBay for US$7 including shipping -- so I figured what the hell...

and btw.. these TB cards are really fussy creatures for sure, but the resulting sound quality can blow you away.. so it's largely worth it IMO.

my questions and concerns:

I know that XP has native Vortex II support but this driver does not support A3D -- which sounds quite nice although the last "modern" PC game I played was Siberia (a pretty underwhelming adventure game, but that's for another post entirely) and I doubt any of teh games from the era that interest me support this feature anyway, so its not really a loss.

I don’t really need some of the newer capabilities that these sound cards offer -- I purchased the card for its wavetable-synthesis MIDI capabilities hoping that it would at least approximate the Monterey in quality when playing my old DOS and Win31/95 adventure games.

the things that worry me:

1. B/C this is a modern system -- At press time, it is running Vista, but I intend to create an XP partition in the next few days where I will be running dosbox and all my old DOS games -- I am concerned that the XP Vortex II driver will not run the MIDI capabilities of the card properly and instead dumb everything down to some crappy FM-Synth-quality SoundBlaster emulation.

2. will I be able to run both my onboard stigmata audio card and the new TB card in DOSBox, or will DosBox go bonkers at the presence of 2 cards? back in the day, the old Monterey was not capable of playing digital audio (WAV files for example) in DOS, you needed an Adlib or SB card to take care of that. While I hope the Montego II no longer has this limitation, somehow I feel I won’t be so lucky.

3. Reading up on everything the past few days I am a little confused about all of these audio emulators available for DosBox. My concern is that if I need to use the Montego II’s audio emulator to play DOS games, the TB emulator will not interface well with the available DOSBOX emulators and I will once again be stuck with a crappy sounding game that is reverting to SB Pro quality MIDI 🙁

or worse, b/c I am using dosbox, I am limited to the same kind of crappy software wave-table-synthesis I already get with my modern onboard audio card. don’t get me wrong.. it sounds OK.. I guess..

of course, maybe since DOSBox for Windows is a native Windows app, I won’t need to use the TB DOS emulator to get MIDI working and will only need the DosBox emulator to get the sound quality I’m looking for.

Finally, from what I understand, my old Monterey had a Rio wavetable daughterboard built into the package which my new Montego II will not. I wonder how much of the incredible sound in my old sierra adventure games was actually due to the addition of the Rio daughterboard (which from what I understand does not work with the Montego II, although I intend to test this for myself just to make sure.)

in the meantime, I am scouting eBay and craigslist for Cancun-FX daughterboard which play well with the Montego II.

I have over the past few years played through many of my old sierra games, with the notable exception of Kings Quest VI CD (which I absolutely cannot stand the site of in DOS mode -- the Windows version of the poor game even runs poorly in Win95, if you can believe that.) However, the sound quality in these games, using modern, non- (hardware) wave-table synthesis cards just does not compare to what you get when using a Monterey.

I think playing these games with a Monterey spoiled me and now I must suffer the consequences. I hope that by the end of all this I will be able to play some of these games with the audio as it was meant to be experienced.

I’m sorry for the length of this post -- it contains about a weeks worth of posts that I meant to write as I read through this forum.

I would greatly appreciate any tips you might have (particularly those with an older turtle beach card in newer system) for getting this card running in DosBox (or if possible in Windows Vista) as well as any tips for a recommended daughterboard for my Montego II for running older sierra games.

thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

cmm3

Reply 1 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, text wall. I'm often verbose, but that was over the top. 😵

DOSBox does not use your native card's anything. SoundBlaster is emulated, AdLib is emulated, MPU-401 interface is emulated (and MIDI instructions are sent to the host OS, so whatever MIDI synth is set in Windows will be the one that gets used). Also, this isn't the right forum for DOSBox. DOSBox forums are over here. If you want high quality MIDI audio, you are probably better off with a good softsynth like TiMidity++ or Fluidsynth and a quality soundfont like Fluid Release 3.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 7, by Galve2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOSBox does not use your native card's anything. SoundBlaster is emulated, AdLib is emulated, MPU-401 interface is emulated (and MIDI instructions are sent to the host OS, so whatever MIDI synth is set in Windows will be the one that gets used).

so your saying that getting a kick-ass wavetable synth card will have not have any effect on the midi playback quality of my old DOS games in DOSBox and any old onboard audio will sound just as good?

i'm considering building a retro gaming rig out of a retired Sony Slimtop LX-810 I have lying around. its not the greatest for these kinds of mods given the form-factor, but does have room for 2 small PCI boards, (like the Montego II) and possibly a small PCI video card.

It has a fairly modern but it also has a bunch of proprietary sony drivers for all the hardware -- and it shipped with WindowsME and I don't know if I will be able to downgrade it to Windows 98, but I like that it has a forward thinking chipset that is capable of booting of USB devices, (the built in DVD/CD-RW combo drive is hosed due to a careless region mod on my part -- so I like that it makes it easy for me to install everything using an external USB DVD-burner i have.

Here are some of the basic specs:

PIII 1000 MHz processor (133 FSB)
384 MB PC-133 SD RAM
SiS 630 motherboard and onboard graphics with 16 MB shared RAM an extra VGA out (no DVI)
SiS 7018 AC 97 onboarad Audio
40 GB WD IDE HD
CD-RW/DVD Cobo drive (not functioning and extrremely difficult to replace give the form factor of the case -- although I will get around to replacing it eventually)

although I wasn't planning on installing the Montego II on this system originally, it seems like the only way i will get my old games to use this card properly (natively).

I figure the SIS hardware is common enough that I will be able to find win98 drivers for everything online. and if it deosnt work, i can just stick with WinME or XP Pro, which it's currently running.

I have other (older) candidates for vintage PCs, but these lack DVD/CD burners and at least one cannot boot from external USB drives which is a real pain for me given that most of my software is on DVDs these days.

The worst part is that (at least in XP, many of my older DOS games -- Conquests of the Longbow which I tried today) plays just fine but with screen artifacts making it impossible to see play. I don't remember if the game behaved in the same way in WinMe. thankfully, most of my sierra games are run in Windows, and those play just fine in WinMe.

In the end I may end up getting a second Montego II card to run in both my systems, but I want to see how well it will run on my every day system before relegating it to the retro rig.

Reply 3 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The whole point of DOSBox — which is what you started talking about, even though now you're talking about irrelevant things like host OS — is that you don't need to build a retro system to play your old games. The faster the host computer the better, as far as it's concerned, since it is a complete emulator.

Most onboard cards do not come with any hardware MIDI support as far as I'm aware, since consumer applications no longer use MIDI; they just allow the standard Microsoft Wavetable softsynth to do the work, which is fine — CPUs are more than powerful enough today for this sort of thing. Install a more competent softsynth like TiMidity++ or Fluidsynth and combine it with a high-quality soundfont like Fluid R3, and it will sound better than anything you ever heard from a 2000-era General MIDI card.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 7, by Galve2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

they just allow the standard Microsoft Wavetable softsynth to do the work, which is fine.

My concern is the quality of the softsynth vs the older general midi cards. i can't believe that a software solution would work better than a dedicated hardware chip to do the work.

my vintage games sound "OK" in dosbox when playing the GenMIDI or MT-32 sounds.. but nowhere near as full or rich as they did when using my Monterey card.

Install a more competent softsynth like TiMidity++ or Fluidsynth and combine it with a high-quality soundfont like Fluid R3, and it will sound better than anything you ever heard from a 2000-era General MIDI card.

i will of course try your suggestion as it sounds simple enough (and as i don't yet have my MIDI card in hand -- it should be arriving this weekend), maybe what is missing from the "stock" microsoft wavetable synth can be supplemented by TiMidity to yield better results as you say...

thanks for your reply

Reply 6 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Galve2000 wrote:

My concern is the quality of the softsynth vs the older general midi cards. i can't believe that a software solution would work better than a dedicated hardware chip to do the work.

How can you not believe this? The only difference between a dedicated sound processor and a standard CPU is that the sound processor is designed to do a single task extremely efficiently, whereas the CPU can be programmed to do anything you want (but it's far less efficient as a result). A 486/66 wouldn't have been powerful enough to perform the necessary real time resampling, filtering, and mixing, but that's not the case any more (and hasn't been for a long time), hence even why your beloved Montego II used software mixing for more than 64 voices. (That's right! It's actually partially a softsynth.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 7 of 7, by Hlafordlaes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an Aureal Vortex sound card that I use in one of my classic gaming machines (DOS/Win98), but I have used it successfully under XP. It is true that if you use DOS Box or ScummVM you do not need to use an older card like this, but I have been able to play some old games under XP without these tools, and the Vortex comes in handy for that.

Under XP you will need some work-arounds, as the Microsoft default driver cuts out (no sound) after a few minutes. You can check http://www.dayc.vispa.com/faq/vortex03.htm for some instructions, or use H.Oda's WPCRedit to modify one value in the driver at run time, which takes a bit more work.

If you need help with any of this, please PM me.