VOGONS

First post, by tymime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a number of old Windows 3.x games from an ancient computer I used to use. Most of them play fine on XP, but a few of them run at lightning speeds, namely one called "Bang! Bang!" which was one of my favorites.
So I installed VMware Workstation just the other day and got Windows 3.1 up and running. The trouble is, I'm at a loss as to how I'm going to get those games onto the darned thing. Anybody got any ideas?

Reply 1 of 4, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Your virtual machine will still have the same cpu speed like your xp machine so the game would probably run pretty fast in 3.11 as well.
As for transferring files, floppy disk images, cd images, make another vm with xp and add the 3.11 drive in there as well, win 3.11 network drivers maybe for the vmware network card.
Enough options i guess.

Reply 2 of 4, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can mount/map the virtual disk file directly from windows and copy files to it. Just right click on the .vmdk file. I am using VMware Workstation 6.5

Another way is to throw all the files you want to put on there in a CD ISO file and mount it, then copy over. This assumes you setup the DOS boot files with CDROM drivers.

A third way is to get WFWG 3.11 up and running on it and do it through the "network".

Reply 4 of 4, by tymime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
valnar wrote:

I can mount/map the virtual disk file directly from windows and copy files to it. Just right click on the .vmdk file.

This worked perfectly. The games run at the correct speed as well!