VOGONS

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I found that I had this card (the chip is ES 1370)and so I hooked it up to try!
Pentium 1 MMX 200Mhz
128 MB ram
i430vx mobo
Matrox Millennium 2 (4mb inside ;P)
3Dfx Voodoo 1
Quantum 4 GB HDD
Teac 52x
Floppy
Some lan card and a 5.25 drive just for showing 😜

So I'm using Windows 98 SE and I used a Sound Blaster 64 installation disc to install the card.Installation went fine,sound plays perfect in Windows games with A3D!I also tried a few DOS games under windows and they worked fine but I wanted to play under DOS-mode.
So I press start and push the button.I wait for a little while and a little program pops up and it seems like it's trying to set the sound for DOS.
I get Port 6100 and IRQ 11.And then what?Nothing...The system seems to "hang"!
So I changed IRQ via BIOS and the same thing happens.So it's not an IRQ thing.I open autoexec.bat and check it out.First of all there is a typical
SET BLASTER =A220 I7 D1 T7
I think that's for emulation,correct me if I'm wrong.
Then I stop at something else
SET SOUNDSCAP(or something like that,it's the driver for the sound card I presume ) =C:\Windows
I check C:\Windows and I find a .ini file.
First of all there is a Port 6100 and IRQ 11 thing just like the one I saw.Then there are many options and I presume that one of them is the problem.If anyone has past experience with that I'd like to hear it.
I'll try to upload the file as soon as I find a way to transfer it!

Reply 5 of 8, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm I'll try to fix that through bios.IRQ 7 or 5 should work.
IRQ 5 and although I can access command line whenever I try to load a game or change the sound driver system crashes.Damn you DOS 🤣

Reply 6 of 8, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

isnt the irq set in autoexec.bat ? (edit thats dma)
perhaps a jumper on the board ?

does you autexec look similar to this ?

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\EAPCI
C:\EAPCI\APINIT.COM

ps: read this
http://www.spmicro.com/mp3sidekick/ensoniq.html

Reply 7 of 8, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I downloaded those files and looked through them, and couldn't find any instance whereby the audiopci card SB software emulation was being initialised.

So, Davros' suggestion seems spot on to me - you need to launch a little "init .com" app in your DOS auto files to get DOS to run and initialize the audiopci SB emulation software.

Perhaps you could go to creative website legacy archive support section, download the audiopci / es1370 chipset driver package, and hopefully this "init .com" app will be included.

irq 11 for windows seems ok to me. irq 7 for dos equally so.

good luck. please let us know how you got on.