VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by rumbadumba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On my limited test (listening to first minute or two of music on first level)...

- didnt realise there was a lead guitar until I played it on the GUS. On DB50XG it seems pretty muffled, hardly there at all.

- on the opening menu music, the strings are much grander on the yamaha, and the percussion is much bolder (as others have said with this card).

Also I'm now certain I get a few seconds of high-pitched noise from the SB16/Yamaha combo.

Sure is interesting, because for straight midi playback when attached to an EWS64XL, the Yamaha sounded great.

Reply 21 of 23, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah Creative cards are known for their 'stuck note' issues in midi playback. This is probably related.

I had only heard the music on an SB Pro prior to getting my first GUS (Classic) and I was completely floored. It sounded better than some of the midi equipment I'd played with at high school - the GUS lead and other guiatrs just blew them away. I used to love sitting in my room listening to Playmidi strut the GUS's stuff back then. Sigh. 😀

Reply 22 of 23, by samudra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
2Mourty wrote:

I have found the GK1 sounds really good on the db60xg even though it was composed on the sound canvas.

Did you compare the sound of the Sound Canvas and the Yamaha or did you only hear GK on the Yamaha?

My experience was that when I first heard GK on the Yamaha I thought it sounded great (actually I heard it first on the GUS back in the nineties, but that doesn't count).

Then when I heard it on the Sound Canvas it blew me away and I became aware of previously non-existing nuances and balances that could evidently only be replicated using the original sounds aswell as volume scales and post-processing it was made with.

This is not a QEMM error.

Reply 23 of 23, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Descent from Interplay also sounds great on the Yamaha. It runs in General MIDI, but the techno-ish soundtrack for Descent makes it a perfect fit for the Yamaha patches.