VOGONS

First post, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've recently set my computer up to use my Samsung 23" HDTV as a monitor. This is a pretty nice unit; it's 16:9 and has a native resolution of 1360x768. The only problem with it is that, for all lower screen resolutions, it insists on scaling 4:3 images up to 16:9, forcing me to keep my TV remote on hand so I can manipulate the menus and adjust the TV aspect ratio when i want to play anything older.

I saw in another thread that NVIDIA video cards have an alternate upscaler on the video card itself, which can be used to bypass the TV's upscaler. But the option doesn't appear in the NVIDIA Control Panel as of the latest driver revision. I'd like to know two things: how to enable the NVIDIA scaler, and how to set the scaler to respect the aspect ratio instead of unconditionally scaling everything to 16:9.

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png

Reply 1 of 4, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is what it looks like in the control panel. I see this even with the gimpy GF 6150 IGP on this machine. It works in both XP and Vista.
http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/1356/image … 1024x768pa7.jpg

Reply 2 of 4, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm...it might be because I have hooked it up through VGA. Maybe once I get an HDMI cable I can make use of this feature. Ah well.

Reply 4 of 4, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The TV I'm using as a monitor does not have a DVI port, only HDMI, and while I have a DVI-HDMI adapter, I don't have an HDMI cable to go with it. So a further solution will need to wait until I can get myself a job.