VOGONS

First post, by supruzr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I need a program that can encapsulate IPX over TCP in Windows XP.

What I need is a program that does exactly what Kahn does, except without relying on VxD to do it. Kahn is not being actively developed anymore, although 7 months ago the developer promised a new beta "soon", plus I really don't want to wait.

Since Kali is not free, and is a centralized network, and the client requires registration to even USE, it is not an acceptable substitute.

I would be interested either in an XP compatible program that I can use in place of Kahn, or a way to emulate VxD support in XP.

Or maybe someone wants to write an XP compatible Kahn client? That would be lovely, since the developer of Kahn is clearly not up to the task.

Reply 2 of 8, by supruzr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A simple "I have no idea what you're talking about" would have worked just as well.

If anyone other than the admin had said that, I might stick around and see if someone here actually has a clue. Since it was, however, I'm going to pretend I didn't waste all this time and find another forum where people comprehend phrases like "IPX encapsulation" and "Windows XP" and "not an acceptable substitute".

The comedic value of your reply notwithstanding, feel free to delete this thread. I wouldn't want to throw the entire IQ curve of the forum.

Reply 3 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Feel the warmth everyone...

Of course, it might be a little more comfortable if it wasn't coming from burning human flesh.

A slightly less "hot" translation might be that he feels that Kali provides a valuable service at a nominal fee, therefore he sees no need in assisting you with something that could easily be resolved by a $10 investment.

Part of this "issue" comes from a number of posts we've had where Paul (GliDOS) was publicly flogged for not giving his program away for free. These discussions have left a bitter taste in our mouths on this kind of issue.

Hopefully other issues can be discussed without this thread being too much of an influence.

Reply 6 of 8, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
supruzr wrote:

I need a program that can encapsulate IPX over TCP in Windows XP.

I'm not very familiar with Kahn and Kali, but since I have some experience with DOS network protocolos including IPX, can you give us some more details about your request? Do you need IPX protocol for DOS programs, Windows programs or both?

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 7 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Harekiet I thought kali was free now anyway and you could just use a serial from the kali homepage

Apparently not for a full life-time subscription.

Only "temporary" registrations are free.

Originally posted by Carrera What is the difference between Kali and Kahn?

5$? *heh*
Not sure really, Found this page where they refer to DOS and Win95, then there's this page. So can I guess that the 2nd page comes from a re-release of the program from the first page (with the invalid "Stargate Networks" homepage link)?

In some countries, every minute online costs you money still...
And we are not talking Afghanstan or something I'm tlaking here in Europe...

Yes, we know. This is still true (a least partially) for the U.K. as discussed here (search for $73).