VOGONS

First post, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First off I wanted to say that I have been lurking this site for quite a long while now. I registered a week ago and I'm just now making my first post. I basically wanted to poke my head in and say "hi" to everyone. I have been really enjoying the wealth of information here! I am having a hard time finding a home persay, My interested reside in the early 3d era of gaming. 8 bit systems are cool and all but I just seem to perfer the pentium/pentium 2 era of computers.

Second thing I wanted to say is that I am currently in the middle of building my very own retro computer. I don't have a cool sounding name for it yet but I am open to suggestions. Normally I would just try and get the game I wanted to play to run on my main system but there were always bugs and I HATE messing with software. I mean I installed windows 7 on my system 2 months ago and its still the default background. I would much rather build a 2nd box for all my previous gen gaming needs.

Basically this is what I already have that I am cobbling together into a system:

Asus p65up5 mobo
2x pentium pro processors with 1mb cache
512mb edo ram
some random adaptec scsi card running at 80mb/s
hercules 3d prophet 4000xt pci video
1x voodoo2 from creative (ct6670)
and I *just* received in the mail today from ebay an AWE64 gold (ct4540)

I have the following spare parts:
asus p5a-b
amd k6-2 500mhz
368mb of pc100 (only will take 128mb sticks)

I've weighed the pros and cons and I want a "dual cpu" setup. I have resolved to only own asus boards and dual cpu ones at that. My target for gaming is quake 3 and unreal tournament. I remember spending many many hours on my dad's hp playing both until i had cramps. (had a 400mhz celeron, onboard video and 128mb of ram and it ran fine)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am open for suggestions, I am supposed to be getting my case for this setup tomorrow. I found on ebay a stripped ibm XT case that I'm going to fill with pentium pro goodness. Also I would love to have your opinions on what operating software to use and if I should get a 2nd voodoo2 or go for broke and try to win a PCI voodoo 5. I know for a fact if I was using my p5a-b I'd be going voodoo5 but I wish they had made a dual/quad p-pro with agp.

and before I go here are a few pictures of my setup so far:

1241487582128.th.jpg1242100374612.th.jpg1242100394251.th.jpg

Reply 1 of 3, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

2 pentium pros's ?

not needed win9x wont see the second cpu neither will any of the games from that era (apart from some quake engined games + falcon 4, more or less)
ps: you wont be able to play q3 online with 2 cpu's as the last patch broke smp
scsci card - just means you will pay more for hard drives ide is fine

as for sound card I would recommend a vortex2 card for a3d 2.0 goodness or failing that a sblive/audigy/x-fi for eax

Reply 2 of 3, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome!

Nice mobo..recently got one of these myself with the special mediabus ATI gfx card/Vibra16 combo card etc
Awesome piece of gear

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 3 of 3, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iam also considering going to the early p3 era as well. But I need to draw the line somewhere. I would probably end up with something tulatin based...

As for my choice for scsi, I already had the card and drive so it wasn't much of an issue.

Thanks for the imput so far! You guys have suceeded in me 2nd guessing my dual p-pro rig but that's exactly what I wanted. Thanks