VOGONS

First post, by visitor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi to All,
I dont know that this is the right section for this post. If I am mistaken please forgive me. My question is about printing in dos enviroment through a software developed on C++ Platform. Currently I trying to print some reports from that Application in Dot Matrix printer which is very slow in printing. As the printing in DOS is very fast in DMPs. When we use Windows OS it prints very slow. I am using WIN XP and Vista also. But the speed of printing is very slow in DMPs. Is there any way to increase the speed of printing in DMPs as it is in DOS.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The program should use the printer fonts instead of sending bitmaps.

And no, DMPs had never been fast for printing... In fact, they suck.

You better get a laser printer with some built-in raster language: PCL5 is fast and pretty known.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 11, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The cause of your problem is because:
- DMPs print text fast.
- DMPs print graphics awfully slow.
- DMPs doesn't have much buffer memory.

When you print text in DOS, it send it as plain text and the printer renders it. In Windows, most times it is printed as graphics (Windows render text to graphics and then it send it to the printer)... so the print output is slooooow (and, because of buffer memory, the listing will remain in your computer during the whole process).

How to avoid that? I guess you may try some tricks:
- Use only the "default" fonts and sizes in the printer. Any other font/size will force windows graphic output.
- Try writing your own "driver" and dump it to the output directly.
- If your output is only text, try configuring a Generic/Only Text printer pointing to your DMP.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 11, by visitor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes you are all right the application which I am running sends the text to the printer in Graphic form. Hence the DMP prints it slow. the reports which I am printing has only texts. Hence I wanna know is there any way that such report is treated as text only instead of graphic. If there are drivers updates how can I fin it. or is there any utility which can converts such report to text form and also send it to printer itself.

Thanks

Reply 4 of 11, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try using the generic/only text printer driver... but it will only render text. If your report has a logo or lines they won't be printed.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 7 of 11, by visitor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found the solutions from your help. You are right it will do the need ful for me. As it will not print graphics (Especially Logos) and Borders. Is there any way out to overcome this problem.

Thanks

Reply 8 of 11, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What part of this do you not understand?

Zup wrote:
The cause of your problem is because: - DMPs print text fast. - DMPs print graphics awfully slow. - DMPs doesn't have much buffe […]
Show full quote

The cause of your problem is because:
- DMPs print text fast.
- DMPs print graphics awfully slow.
- DMPs doesn't have much buffer memory.

Your printer is slow. It will ALWAYS be slow. There is no software/driver to magically make it print text/graphics at the same speed.

You want to print graphics faster? Solution:

Get a new printer.

Reply 10 of 11, by visitor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What I want.

I wanna print an Logo which I have created using Font editor. I have inserted an logo in my report by editing the default Arial font and inserted My image of logo in place of Alphabet "A" So when ever I type "A" it types my logo but when I am trying to send it to DMP Via Generic Text Printer It types "A" instead of logo. It may be because I cannot edit the default font of DMP. How can I do that.

Thanks

Reply 11 of 11, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There are control codes for loading custom font... fun 😀
http://support.epson.ru/products/manuals/000350/part1.pdf

But probably you'd want to print your logo in graphics mode...

1+1=10