VOGONS

First post, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all, I am new to this forum and i have already found it quite useful 😀

I have a couple of old systems that i have ressurected so that i can enjoy my old collection of Dos games.... One of them has got a Creative Vibra 16 ISA CT4180 soundcard. Is there any difference in sound between this and a normal Sound Blaster 16 ISA? It is smaller than other ISA SB16's but does it sound the same?

Would it be worth me getting a different SB16 or should this one be fine?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks

😎 😎

Reply 1 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Vibra16 is a "cheaper", more highly integrated solution. It is SB16 compatible. It lacks some stuff like tone controls and that optional ASP chip, if I recall correctly. I think it also lacks a real OPL3 chip so it's going to use Creative's knock off FM synth instead (may sound "worse".)

According to the all-knowing Usenet (google groups):

The V16 chip is a new version which combines the mixer, codec, bus interface, and DAP, into one chip. Until recentally, it was sold to OEMs for use on motherboard or add-in card designs made by them. It is now being used on so newer SB cards.

Vibra16 is also used on the Sound Blaster 32, which was a "value" version of the AWE32.

Give it a try and see what you think.

One thing I can't stand about even "full" SB16 cards is how noisy and low quality their analog signal is. So I don't see those cards as superior to anything.

Last edited by swaaye on 2009-06-27, 01:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 5, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also have an SB16 CT2290 and it is quite large in comparison, i just wanted to know which one would be better to use, but if the Vibra is going to sound the same then it saves me swapping the cards over and setting up the drivers and resources etc....

Reply 3 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It may sound different for FM synth, but otherwise it will be the same.

Some people claim it actually sounds better because the higher integration means less chance for signal loss.

Reply 4 of 5, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I may just stick it in my other system and have a listen, although the soundcard in that one has been fine with Dos games and it's a PCI card! It's a Creative AudioPCI CT4810 (Ensoniq 5880) and it is probably the best PCI card i have come across that sounds great with Dos games! It also supports general midi/Roland sound too! (My Vibra does not!)

Reply 5 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea the AudioPCI cards are very nice for DOS. The Sound Blaster Live! uses that same DOS driver, actually. It originates from Ensoniq and when Creative bought them out they implemented it for all of their cards.