VOGONS

First post, by Triassic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

EDIT: I apologize for the formatting. The formatting is looking really weird in the final post, and I don't know why. Nothing seems to fix it, and I've tried alot. A forum error perhaps? Here's what it looks like while I'm typing it: http://www.imgur.com/qpIwL

EDIT2: Fixed a problem with the final link, formatting fixed. Grammar errors fixed.

--------------------------

I'm posting this here because after searching for a specific DgVoodoo Software forum online, I came up empty. If anyone knows a specific forum for DgVoodoo problems, I would be happy to repost there instead.

So I have a strange problem. I'm trying to get Redguard to work properly and I ran across a strange problem with DgVoodoo. I unzipped the following to C:\WINDOWS: glide2x.dll, glide2x.ovl, dgvoodoo.exe, dgvoodoo.vxd, dgvoodooSetup.exe like it said to in instructions to get Redguard working on XP, and then I create a shortcut to dgvoodooSetup.exe.

Now I go to configure dgvoodooSetup.exe, enable what features I need (Check Dos under platform, Working in VDD mode, and Closer to a real hardware) and click OK. However, when I doubleclick dgvoodooSetup.exe again to see if it has saved my preferences, it hasn't. Ever. It always defaults back to Windows mode over DOS and NEVER SAVES what changes I make. I've tried this with all the versions of DgVoodoo I could possibly download, new and old, and not a single one will let me enable DOS and then save my preferences.

What the hell is going on? I can verify that it is not just resetting when I double-click the setup.exe, it just DOES NOT save my preferences. Here are some screenshots in case they help:

I open upDGVoodoosetup.exe for the first time: http://www.imgur.com/9xqU3

I make my changes and hit OK: http://www.imgur.com/iHQA7

So I open it up again and find all my changes have been reset. This is not a duplicate of the first image. This is after I have 'saved' my changes the first time: http://www.imgur.com/LqxNE

If anyone could shed some insight, I would be very grateful. This seems to be the only obstacle stopping this method of installing Redguard.

PS- If you want to read more about my anguish installing Redguard, look here: http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?s … owtopic=1010105
I don't believe it is even about playing and enjoying the game at this point. I'm 20 hours in, trying to get this working, and all I want is to prove to myself that I can get this to run.

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Install Redguard. Choose 3DFX.
Copy all dgvoodoo files into RedGuard directory.
Surf to the RedGuard directory from the command prompt and go to the "sound" directory.
Execute VDMSound.
Configure setsound.
Go back to RedGuard directory and execute rgfx.
Game should start up.

To configure it as you wish exit Redguard and go into DGVoodoosetup and setup as you like.

I verified all of this day before yesterday on XP 32bit and it worked fine.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by Triassic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll go step-by-step with what I just tried, as thoroughly as possible.
------------------------

DosFreak wrote:

Install Redguard. Choose 3DFX.

Done, I did a fresh install to 'C:\Program Files\Redguard', 3DFX, and I selected "No Sound" like it says in many guides.

DosFreak wrote:

Copy all dgvoodoo files into RedGuard directory.

Okay, did that too, no problems.

DosFreak wrote:

Surf to the RedGuard directory from the command prompt and go to the "sound" directory.
Execute VDMSound.
Configure setsound.

Okay, I went to setsound.exe, right-clicked and 'Run with VDMS', configured sound for both midi and digital audio with Sound Blaster 16.

DosFreak wrote:

Go back to RedGuard directory and execute rgfx.
Game should start up.

Okay, I click on RGFX.EXE and a DOS window opens. I click ignore to the following message, because it has said to in many guides:
TITLE:"16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem"
"C:\PROGRA~1\Redguard\RGFX.EXE
And application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot be supported. This may cause the application to function incorrectly. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."
Again, I chose ignore. The following happens, very quickly, the DOS window minimizes and a black screen (fullscreen) appears. It stays black. Nothing happens, even after 5 minutes. I eventually Alt+Tab out and the Dos Windows is still minimized in the taskbar. Eventually I right click and click 'Close'. This has happened with many other install methods I have tried.

Just a note: I have Sapucdex unzipped to that Redguard folder. Also, no disks (either the install or play disc) are in my drive.

DosFreak wrote:

To configure it as you wish exit Redguard and go into DGVoodoosetup and setup as you like.

Again, even though the program didn't run, I went and changed some settings (using the dgvoodoosetup.exe in the Redguard folder) and clicked OK. I re-click setup and none of my settings were saved. I remember reading somewhere that you need to have dgvoodoo.exe running when you launch Redguard. When I launch it, however, it says "dgVoodoo is sent to work as a VDD. You cannot run serverprocess!" Unfortunately for me, since the setup.exe doesn't save my settings, when I click 'Working in VDD mode' it doesn't enable it.

DosFreak wrote:

I verified all of this day before yesterday on XP 32bit and it worked fine..

I have the same as you, and yet it still doesn't work. I don't know what the problem is at all.

EDIT:
I tried it with the install disc in the drive, the play disc, and both at once, and still the same thing occurs. A black screen appears, and then nothing happens.

Reply 3 of 3, by marcg1z28

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I am having the same damn problem 😀 When you hit ok it should be ok ..but actually I have discovered that all the buttons along the bottom ( SAVE ,Cancel, and ABOUT do not work ( Non Clickable) I am trying to find out the answers on that issue alone.