VOGONS

Cannot identify a sound card!!

Topic actions

First post, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all, i have just received an immaculate condition old Packard Bell system today and i am having trouble locating drivers for the sound card 😒

The system is a Packard Bell Executive MM 9005D. The sound card is huge and also doubles as a modem! It is an ISA sound/modem card and as far as i know it is made by Aztech... but thats it! there are no model numbers or anything! The sound chips are Aztech and the modem chips are Rockwell.

I tried to google it and found it could be either an "Aztech Sound Galaxy Washington 16" (crap name 😒 ) or an Aztech Rocky 2?? I cannot find much info on either and need the win95 drivers for it 😢

Edit: Here is the full model no. for the Packard Bell: A940-4X4E640 - any help is appreciated, thanks 😉

This is what the sound card looks like:

Chipset: Aztech AZT2320
Modem: RCV288DPi Rockwell R6682-24

346996.jpg

Reply 2 of 22, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am not sure? i will open the PC and have another look.... i don't recall seeing anything printed on the PCB.

Here is another pic of the same card... this shows the radio card attached:

090217_115921.jpg

Reply 4 of 22, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the link! there does not seem to be any FCC ID number on this sound card 😖 ... after more looking it could also be an Aztech sound 4 or sound 3 card! I may as well bin this one and buy a Yamaha OPL3 based ISA card 😁

Reply 6 of 22, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's strange how it says AZT2320 on the chip but in the windows device manager it is showing AZT3002 PnP (listed about 5 times.... with a question mark as i cannot find any drivers for this thing!)

Reply 8 of 22, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The above driver did not work... it won't even install 😢 But i think i may have fopund the right drivers 😀

After lots of searching i found AZT3002 drivers and the description was "PB Aztech Rocky2 sound/modem ISA card" which is also known as "PB Aztech Sound III ISA".

I will give these drivers a go and see what happens... I have never used an Aztech sound card and don't know if they are any good? do they provide good SB support?

Reply 9 of 22, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok i found the right drivers for this sound card (it has a few different names 😖 ) I have decided that this particular model sucks.

I will be getting rid of it and the radio board attached to it.... probably end up in the bin as it really is crap! It works fine under Windows 95 but it completely freaks out when setting it up to run any Dos based games. The music detection is fine but when any game tries to detect the digital audio it just crashes.... and sometimes with a blue screen no matter what sound device i select in any game!

It is not sound blaster friendly and it hates Dos! I have tried a few different driver versions and they all do the same.... oh well i am just going to have to find another sound card 😖

Reply 11 of 22, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have tried! I rebooted into Dos mode and the same thing happens!

I am getting another ISA sound card. I can't decide between an ESS 1868F (SC8600 LITE - Maxi Sound 64 Dynamic 3D) or a Yamaha YMF719 (OPL3)..... i need it to be fully Sound Blaster compatible (SB Pro or SB16). I could get another ISA Sound Blaster but i don't really like the sound quality much... and SB midi is terrible!

What would you suggest? (needs to be a cheap easy to find ISA sound card with good SB support) I am leaning towards Yamaha as my Yamaha 724 PCI card is great in my other P3 system 😉

Reply 12 of 22, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I decided to buy the ESS 1868F based sound card with Dream wavetable chip (Maxi Sound 64 Dynamic 3D ISA) I am just hoping i made the right choice!! It only cost me £2.99 from ebay so if it's crap then at least i dont lose out on much 😁

Reply 13 of 22, by DBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Instead of opening a new topic, I'm putting an unidentified sound card here.

So, here it is.

DSC01688.jpg

It's fully loaded with 74LS* ic (which is a ttl gate ic), so it's a kind of isa covox, or at least that's what I think.

What's your idea guys?

Reply 14 of 22, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like some kind of Adlib clone? the big chip might be an OPL chip...

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 16 of 22, by DBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx for the replies.

I also thought that the big ic must be some kind of an OPL2 chip (clone), but why would somebody fake a chip to some other (in that case also unusable and "less advanced")?

Labeling some low cost ic to some more expensive one, is a "better" way of faking something, then this way. 😖

Also forgot to take a photo of the other side of the card. There is only the warranty label, and based on that, the card was made around the first half of '92.