VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Today I assembled some old pc parts I had, in order to make a win89se box, to play old games.... I used a PII@400 , 64MB RAM, Voodooo3 3000, 20GB HD , ASUS 50X cd-rom and a SoundBlaster AWE64 value sound card. Though in windows sound is working excellent, I cannot find a driver for pure DOS... I got the dos-drv from creative, tried to install them under PURE DOS (not a dos-box) and they nag that they are only for DOS/win3.1 .... Isn't there a way to have dos drivers? Am I doomed only to use the dos-box? btw, I do not have the awe64 cd...

Any help will be grately appreciated 😁
THANKS!

Reply 1 of 6, by t-rex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How about installing that good old MS-DOS on your machine? It runs just about every DOS-based software I can think of 😁

Seriously, if you really want to use Win98, there's couple of things that might help. When you boot your machine in DOS-mode, type "setver 6.22". That should trick programs thinking your running MS-DOS 6.22. If you still can't install those drivers, there's no need to be desperate: most DOS games use their own sound drivers anyway - you should not need Creative's low lever drivers for gaming.

On the other hand, one thing many old games require is the BLASTER-variable. That's the thing in your AUTOEXEC.BAT saying something like "SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6". (Since you have Win98 drivers installed, there's a good chance you'd might have that variable already correctly set up, but I'll tell you this anyway...) Getting those numbers right should be easy, if your card is PnP -compatible: download Creative PnP Configuration Manager from their site, uncompress the archive somewhere on your hard drive (i.e. C:\CTCM), and add the following lines in your startup files:

[CONFIG.SYS]
DEVICE=C:\CTCM\CTCM.EXE

[AUTOEXEC.BAT]
SET CTCM=C:\CTCM

The settings can be a little trickier, if your card isn't Pnp compatible... in that case you can obtain the right numbers from Win98's Device Manager.

Reply 2 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

there may be something funny.... I cannot recall seeing the sb64 on the device list when the pc boots.... maybe it is not the pnp ver.... creative pnp manager says it will not run with win95, and I am booting straight to DOS!

Reply 3 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember trying to use my AWE64 Gold in the DOS that comes with Win98 ("DOS 7"), and the Creative DOS drivers complained that Windows was installed. I think it was a combination of the version being higher than 6.2x and the fact that it saw some Win9x files in the C:\WINDOWS directory. Very frustrating. I think I was able to somehow get minimal DOS support from the card though, since it was after all still an ISA Sound Blaster card.

Reply 4 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by keropi Though in windows sound is working excellent, I cannot find a driver for pure DOS... I got the dos-drv from creative, tried to install them under PURE DOS (not a dos-box) and they nag that they are only for DOS/win3.1 .... Isn't there a way to have dos drivers?

*groan*
Use the drivers for the proper OS:
http://www.americas.creative.com/support/file … 2%2C3&subcat=19

Note the entry under Applications that reads

Basic DOS-level utilties for use in Windows95 MS-DOS mode or a Windows 95 Command Prompt only boot.

Follow the instructions in the ReadMe (contained in the 95dosapp.exe).

Reply 6 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by keropi problem was I needed a pnp manager....

Well then you would grab "Creative PnP Configuration Manager (Rev 4)" in addition to the 95dosapp file. You'll need CTCM and CTCU. Keep any eye out for your card's settings. Make sure they stay the same after each reboot. Otherwise you'll have to reconfigure each time.

Just make sure you stick with the 95dosapp files for DOS operation, don't use the DOS6 versions.

My m/b is a BX440 (pnp) but sb64 was not working without one 😕 all is solved now, thnax!

Then I guess you've already found it yourself.