VOGONS

First post, by vittek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, I have read many posts over the last few days great site thanks for the info. I have a few Roland specific questions which I could not find answers to. Heres my thinking and would apreciate any thoughts.

I am building a DOS gaming machine with Roland equipment as some of my favorite games like the Ultimas and Lucas Arts games took advantage and when I was younger I didnt know any better. Also curious what all those MIDI soundtracks to those flightsims would sound like with better equipment. Heres the specs thusfar

Pentium Pro 200
64 MB EDO ram
Tseng Labs ET6000 2.5 MB
2 Voodoo2 s in SLI 12 MB each (for newer stuff in 98SE)
MPU IPC T card for MP401
Undecided on Sound Blaster card

I am buying what I am assumung is a first gen external MT 32, and a first gen external SC 55. I made this choice so that games designed for the MT 32 LA sound correct, and the later general midi stuff is covered by the SC 55.

I am also getting an 8 bit ISA MPU-IPC-T card with a breakout box for proper MP 401 support.

I could not find an SCC 1 or any other card for a reasonable price, hence my choice on the two external boxes and the card. Plus they will just look awesome.

1. Now can I hook these two up at the same time and use these in paralell with a SB card for sound effects

2. Any thoughts on a SB card with a specific daughterboard and do you forsee any hardware conflicts (I am reading on the port 300 or 330 conflict with the SB card and the Roland)

Any thoughts or comments are welcome. Thanks for your time.

Reply 1 of 5, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice system, reminds me of my dual P Pro rig 😀

1. Yes, just use the midi pass thru to hook up the devices to each other but I think you'll need a mixer to hook up the SB, MT32 and SC55 to..that's how I've solved it with my machines that have at least 4 sound devices.

2. An early Sound Blaster model CT1740 is a good choice since it's not affected by any hanging midi note bugs
Just set it to use port 300 for midi so it wont collide with Roland midi port 330

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 2 of 5, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With your setup, I would prefer to connect the Roland MT-32 to the MPU-IPC-T card using the MPU, and the SC-55 to the SoundBlaster's MIDI/Joystick port.

And if you already have the SC-55, you won't have to look for a midi daughterboard for your SB card. Once you listen to the SC-55, you won't be going back to listen to a daughterboard midi. 😉

I'm using a somewhat similar setup (except for the IPC-T,MT-32 and SC-55), and am happy with this type of configuration. (LAPC-I using the port 330, SC-55 MKII connected to the SBAWE32's MIDI out port at 300h)

Change the SB's MPU address to 300, and in the game's setup, choose General MIDI or Sound Canvas and choose the port 300, to play the music on the Sound Canvas. Since games supporting Sound Canvas or General MIDI don't require an intelligent MPU mode, you won't have problems with your SB and SC-55 playing music.

If you don't have a dual 2 or 2.1 speaker setup or if you don't have an AV receiver/HI-FI with multtiple inputs, you can connect the SC-55's or the MT-32's audio out to the Line-IN of the Sound Blaster Card. ( Some may complain the line in mode with a sound blaster, but with one of my systems, I have connected the Roland CM-500's audio out to my SB AWE32's line-in, and have never had any problems so far. The volume is correct and no disturbances or muffled volume noted.) You can hear both the digital effects and voices and the module's midi without hassle.

And if you don't want to keep changing the line out from your mt-32 and sc-55 to the line in of your sb, you can get a convergence adapter or cable, or a mixer.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 3 of 5, by vittek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Amigaz, your Dual Pentium Pro rig partly inspired me. That is awesome. My first job (under the table as I was underage) was at a PC repair shop cleaning up around the store and learning what I could from the techs. I remember seeing that dual board you have and thinking that was my dream machine.

I also had a friend who had both a 233MMX and a 200PPro... both played Unreal just fine. I really think the difference between the two is negligible if youre not using a 32 bit OS, but a Pentium Pro is just plain cool. I decided on 1 CPU as I am just going to use DOS and maybe 95 or 98SE.

I still have 1 PCI slot and 1 ISA slot left. I still have an Adaptec 2940 in an anti static bag in a box in the States... I was a big fan of SCSI and a think a Quantum hard drive and a SCSI Kenwood TrueX 52x CD ROM are in order for this build. I used to have one of those Kenwood drives in my PC... it was a great upgrade those drives are awesome... theres one in a SEALED BOX on Ebay right now but dude is asking 200 for it. Thats just too much.

Looks like I won two different VS440FX boards on ebay... After looking at pictures extensively I believe these are Venus boards... one has onboard audio the other does not. I hope the one without works.

Malik, I am glad to hear the external units are worth the effort. Thank you very much for the advice as well. Thats the only reason I was considering an AWE64 Gold... the gold RCA outs to a decent amplifier. But now that I am going to use Roland I might stick with the CT1740 Amigaz reccomended due to hanging notes... not sure I will have to experiment when I get all the parts.

I am really excited to hear better music on all of the games from what some consider the golden age of computer gaming. My first PC was an IBM PS-2 286... loaded with games like Hot Rod, Lemmings, Ultima VI, Prince of Persia and a bunch of others.

Later came a Packard Bell 386, which I ran B 17 Flying Fortress from Microprose.

We briefly had an IBM 486 class machine which ran Kings Quest 6, but it was returned to the store by my dad, he couldnt justify the cost.

Then came a Compaq Presario 486Sx 33 Mhz, and on that machine I eventually played Ultima VII, SWOTL, Wolfenstein 3D, Tie Fighter (My god what a game I am very excited to revisit with Roland hardware) and of course Doom.

I am very excited to experience my favorite games on the Rolands. I had no idea what I was missing. I just remember seeing the option in the games for them and assumed Sound Blaster was the way to go.

I do love the sound Ive heard so far of the MT 32 playing the Lucas Games, and even E1M1 from Doom on youtube... But after hearing THIS, I am now looking for a GUS, because Doom is basically the reason I got into computers big time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GYsxEKVnNM&feature=related

Granted thats emulated, but do you guys hear the "No!" sample in there...

I also played the Crusader games which used .MOD files for the music. Im going to ask the experts here... is the Gravis Ultrasound worth it for .MOD files and patched games

And considering all of them on Ebay are being sold by the same guy for $200 each... anybody have one they are willing to part with for a fair price? I promise it will be taken care of and appreciated...

Also saw this, but since I am going for external units I am passing

An SCC 1 In the box sealed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … 5#ht_500wt_1182

Reply 5 of 5, by vittek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dang, got outbid on that Sound Canvas 55 and SCC 1 card and missed it. It came with the USB adapter too : - /
Just plunked down outright for a Sound Canvas MKII

So, updated now is

Pentium Pro 200
64 MB EDO ram
Adaptec 2940U PCI SCSI Controller
Kenwood TrueX 52X SCSI CDrom (New in the box! Made an offer and he took it!)
Tseng ET6000
2x 12MB Voodoo2's in SLI
MPU IPC T ISA
Roland Sound Canvas 55MkII (OUCH!)
Roland MT 32

All thats left is Sound Blaster, SCSI Hard Drive, Black Floppy Drive, NIC, and case.

I do have two more surprises for this machine but I will keep the lid on them until it's finished.

Do you guys remember the size limit for SCSI Hard Drives in DOS? According to Microsoft: "NOTE: Windows 95 OEM Service Release version 2 and later support drives larger than 2 GB using the FAT32 file system."

So looks like using FAT32 I should be OK with something up to 2TB or so using '95OSR2. That's overkill but finding a vintage SCSI drive might prove difficult and NOISY.

Also, I REALLY want this case but looks like the guy is out of business:
http://www.baber.com/baber/gifs/casegifs/micr … esktop_case.jpg

Hey Amigaz, did you just use a NEW ATX Power Supply with your system or find an old one?