VOGONS

First post, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've noticed that there aren't any good IPX to TCP/IP emulation programs out there for Windows XP that would allow me to play old IPX-only Windows games across a network (such as Diablo 1), so I figured that if someone were to take the IPX to TCP/IP tunneling code from DosBox and turn it into something for Windows apps, that it would work well for those old games. 😁 I know absolutely nothing about programming, and it's not like I'll be able to learn how anytime soon, so I would like to offer this as a challenge to any of the programmers on here. 😁 Any thoughts?

Reply 2 of 7, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just installing the IPX protocol on XP won't work? (This isn't a rhetorical question, I'm really asking...)

I know it's still available in XP, it's just not installed by default...

Reply 3 of 7, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Just installing the IPX protocol on XP won't work? (This isn't a rhetorical question, I'm really asking...)

I know it's still available in XP, it's just not installed by default...

Bigmouth is looking for a program to encapsulate the IPX protocol for use over an IP network. You can definitely use IPX under XP, but that will only get you as far as your LAN...

In this case Kali would be an appropriate suggestion, I remember hearing about it in the Warcraft 2 days, although I haven't ever used it myself.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 6 of 7, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I know absolutely nothing about programming, and it's not like I'll be able to learn how anytime soon, so I would like to offer this as a challenge to any of the programmers on here.

You may know nothing of programming, but have you heard of Google? 😳

Why offer a 'challenge' to others, when you just don't have the ability? The simple answer is to use what someone else has already programmed, do not re-invent the wheel or ask others to do so on your behalf...

Click here to find out about the Gamer's Internet Tunnel v0.99 Beta 4 release.

dvwjr

Reply 7 of 7, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually tried out GIT yesterday, and it worked great! 😁 I was actually quite surprised at how effective it was over my LAN, considering that it was mostly designed for playing LAN games over the internet, and not for just translating IPX to TCP/IP.