VOGONS

First post, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm still thinking about building my RetroPC (actually, I have 3 semi finished projects). While there are many components to choose from, everyone seems to agree, that a Roland Sound Canvas should be an integral part of a RetroPC, because the best games have their music written for Roland. But I see some problems here.

• SCC-1
    This one seems to be very rare and might not have the MK-II banks. To use it with digitized sound you would need a external mixer. Not very convenient.

SC-55
    As with the SCC-1, the main problem is mixing the digital sound and MIDI music.

RAP-10
    Gives you digital sound (if the game supports it), but does not give all the SC-55 banks.

SCB-55 on SB
    The daughter board can be attached to a Sound Blaster, which would give good digital sound compatibility and great MIDI. But the SB is noisy, and the less noisy ones have the hanging notes bug. Spending a lot of $ on a DB and using it at crap quality would be a waste of money.

SCB-55 on professional or semi-professional sound card
    On the other hand you can use a quality sound card (Terratec, Hoontech), but this would require SB emulation, drivers etc. (Correct me if I'm wrong about the driver issue).

SCB-55 on a PCI card
    I could use a Diamond Monster MX300, but this card in a 486 or Pentium would be just a DB host. Using a PCI sound card in something older than PII with Win9x seems to be a travesty.

SCB-55 on a DosBOX PC
    This is my newest idea. Since DosBOX provides lots of great hardware, maybe I should simply put a Monster MX300 in my XP PC, add the SCB and let DosBOX play MIDI through it? DosBOX would take care of the digital SB and with the SCB would make the perfect setup. I know that at some point a XP box will be considered a RetroPC, but all in all it seems it would be easier to setup a box for XP (Motherboard with integrated ATI graphics, a CPU and a DIMM or two), than setup a 486 or Pentium box (SIMMs, AT PSU, AT Tower, HDD/FDD controller - it's hard to get here some good parts).

What do you think, especially about the SCB options? How are you using your SC modules?

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 2 of 15, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would go for one of your last three options. In Windows XP you might want to consider a TB Santa Cruz PCI soundcard as a DB host. The Vortex-2 works best on a Windows 98 system.
Using a DB host card also allows u to use a DB50XG/Dream/Korg/OPL4 DB whenever you get bored with the Sound Canvas.

Virtual Sound Canvas is certainly an interesting option, and with some tweaking one can run the VSTi version for free. But they will a take little CPU time from your dosbox session. I remember reading about the normal VSC being incompatible with XP though..

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 15, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GL1zdA wrote:

SCB-55 on professional or semi-professional sound card
On the other hand you can use a quality sound card (Terratec, Hoontech), but this would require SB emulation, drivers etc. (Correct me if I'm wrong about the driver issue).

These cards usually use a Crystal or ESS chip as audio codec. So you initialize it and off you go. No driver required.

Reply 5 of 15, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote:
gerwin wrote:

I remember reading about the normal VSC being incompatible with XP though..

What do you mean exactly? VSC 3.2 works on my XP

I believe he was talking about this thread. But yes, mine also works on my XP.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 15, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think he wanted to say Vista.

By the way:

gerwin wrote:

But they will a take little CPU time from your dosbox session.

I think if you have a multi core cpu that shouldn't be a problem as dosbox will use one core, and VSC will use other core.

Reply 7 of 15, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just remembered reading this, no idea wheter it is true:

dvwjr wrote:

When it comes to system stability on WinXP, I would have to say that the Roland Virtual Sound Canvas v3.23 will lead to the occasional BSOD when running under WinXP due to some deficiency in the device driver coding. It might be stable under Win9x, however. The Roland Virtual Sound Canvas v3.23 sound is somewhat close to the real Roland synth hardware, better that the Microsoft GM/GS soft-synth which licensed Roland Sound Set digital samples.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 8 of 15, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found and installed VSC 3.23 and it seems to work. The sound is great (I tested with X-Wing and Settlers II and it was better than the Utopia Soundfont I loaded to my Audigy. I also tested in Descent and it sounds better than the GUS, I always thought Descent was sounding best on the GUS). The only problem I experienced is that the sound sometime hangs when I exit the game, until I play any other MIDI file.

Reply 9 of 15, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what is your Operating System? Do you use plain VSC or VSC DXi/VSTi?
i think when Starting/Quiting dosbox sends some resetting message so it should be enough to quit dosbox.

Although:

[Note] VSC VST cannot receive the any System Exclusive messages due
to the specification of the VST Instrument.

hence my question

Reply 10 of 15, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using XP with the standard VSC version. Actually the sound persists not after playing in DOSBox but after quiting the DXX-Rebirth Descent engine.

Reply 13 of 15, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GL1zdA wrote:
What do you think, especially about the SCB options? How are you using your SC modules? […]
Show full quote
  • SCC-1

SC-55

SCB-55 on SB

SCB-55 on a PCI card

SCB-55 on a DosBOX PC

What do you think, especially about the SCB options? How are you using your SC modules?

I have, or have used all these combinations. I got a DOS/Win98 box with an SCC-1 with an Aureal SQ2500, and another with an SB16 + Yamaha DB-50XG. My main WinXP PC has an external Roland SC-88XL attached to an Edirol UM-1 USB-to-MIDI converter and I use DOSBox with it. But before that, I used an internal Santa Cruz sound card with the Roland SCD-15 (SCB-55) attached to it. It was perfect too.

The decision is whether you want to build a separate P2/P3 that can handle Win98 games too, or one that uses DOSBox. If you want the most modern card possible to host your SCB-55 for MIDI purposes, I believe the Dynex DX-SC51 will work.

Reply 14 of 15, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

why not play descent in windows with D2X-XL
http://www.descent2.de/

I want stay possibly close to the original, and DXX-Rebirth is better in this area.