VOGONS

First post, by posix_memalign

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I was a kid I had the SB16 and I always wondered what the SB32 sounded like in DOS games. 😀 Now I have a SB32 and I'd like to replace the SB16 in my dedicated DOS/Win3.11 computer with the SB32.

I was just wondering if there is any difference at all, and what is the difference like? I've suspected that MIDI is better on the SB32? But does it matter what kind of SB32 you have in regard to what improvement you will hear?

My SB32 is implemented on ISA, it carries the label "CT3670" on the PCB (upper left corner), it has an IC about in the middle that says "AWE CREATIVE", "CREATIVE TECH 96", "CT8903-DAQ", "640D" and another IC (next to expansion slots) which says "CREATIVE TECH 94", "CT1745A-TBP", "9630".

It has slots for expansion modules/RAM (?), however these are empty. What are they used for? Will they have any effect on the sound quality in any games?

Finally, I was also wondering are there any games that do work with the SB16 that work less well (or even not at all) with the SB32?

Reply 1 of 6, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I remember correctly, the RAM slots were for storing soundfonts and the like.

I don't think they were used to store any of the wave tables.

For gaming you setup this card just like any other SB16 supported game.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 2 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The SB32 is just a ViBRA version of the AWE32 with no YM812, so your OPL2/3 will be screwed.

The RAM expansion slot is only used for storing Soundfonts for the EMU8K synthesizer on the card, only for midi.

No, your sound in games won't sound better than a SB16, but there is native wavetable midi and FM, though FM will sound worse on the SB32 than the I assume, a genuine SB16.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 6, by posix_memalign

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

The SB32 is just a ViBRA version of the AWE32 with no YM812, so your OPL2/3 will be screwed.

The RAM expansion slot is only used for storing Soundfonts for the EMU8K synthesizer on the card, only for midi.

No, your sound in games won't sound better than a SB16, but there is native wavetable midi and FM, though FM will sound worse on the SB32 than the I assume, a genuine SB16.

I see, so you're saying that the MIDI will be improved? Wouldn't that make the music in all games that utilize MIDI sound better?

What sound card should I ideally get for DOS games then? I.e. what sounds the best and what has also the best compatibility? Is AWE32 the best, or is there something even better?

Reply 5 of 6, by posix_memalign

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

You were right, the sound for FM is worse on the SB32 than a real SB16, at least on my instances of these cards, however the sound is far superior on games that support AWE32 and "SB16 AWE" -- when I select this option over regular SB or SB16.

Thanks anyway. 😀