VOGONS

First post, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really ought to start liquidating some of my old PC "junk", but actually I'm pretty dependent on an ancient SB Live! at the moment, so I could stand to get an improvement there.

So I stumbled upon this ancient little card today and scooped it up. It seems to be an ESS XG A31-H30, and it's PCI. It's also clearly quite old, as the audio connectors are all black.

Can someone tell me about this card? What sort of drivers or DOS compatibility does it have?

Reply 1 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"ESS XG A31-H30" does not ring any bell with me or with google. Maybe you could post a picture of the card, or just get a vortex-2 PCI or something, or go ISA.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 2 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ISA is not an option as the computer I have in mind has not ISA slots.

The FCC ID is LWHA311H30. The most prominent chip is labelled "ESS Maestro-2", which I guess might make it the same as Re: ESS (not Ensoniq) Maestro-2 Compatibility .

Reply 3 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a DOS driver for Maestro 2 but I had serious problems with the few games I tried. I had a notebook with the chip. Some games would cause very loud screeching.

SBLive/AudioPCI or Vortex are better IMO.

Reply 4 of 7, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you look for FM with PCI, the ESS Solo-1 sounds pretty authentic. There is a thread here somewhere about the pros and woes of that chip.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.