VOGONS

First post, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I've been doing some testing on my dual-boot legacy gaming rig with other cards besides the VooDoo 5, just to see what would and would not work and how things looked of course 😉

I've been testing using a Radeon 9550 AGP card that works just great under the Win 2K install however under Win 98-SE it's more challenging.

Mostly it's getting any driver package to work, either the official ATi or the Omega drivers cause the boot display to end up with a black screen and only a underscore character in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

This would seem to indicate that it's not finding a boot device, however, it was already in the Loading Windows boot phase when the screen blanked out and ended there with only that flashing underscore.

Since I have these on two separate HDD's I booted into DOS mode and deleted Win 98 and reinstalled just to be sure, same results.

I can reboot into safe mode, run a scandisk and then uninstall the driver package and reboot into normal mode properly, this would indicate the OS is still intact.

The strange part is that the initial install of this card and drivers worked just fine and I was actually able to play a bit with some games until during one session the screen locked up with the sound repeating over and over again.

It could be that the HDD the Win 98 installed onto is failing but the boot record is fine as I can boot into Win 2K just fine and the same card works great, in fact I played through the entire SiN game using the default open gl driver in 1280 x 1024 mode.

Since I have glide wrapper installed, I was able to try out the GlideGl mode as well, which worked but was limited to only a 1024 x 678 display.

Anybody know if an ATi or Omega driver package that works best with Win 98-SE ????

I have somebody checking on some nVidia chipset, agp cards for me to test with, the only other one I could find was the MX-440 card, suppose it would be fine for testing this out in regards to the Win 98 driver issues.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 1 of 6, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

on the 9550 try an earlier win9x driver, when it came out alot of computers still had Windows98, id look for a Cat 3 or 4 release driver. Had a similar problem with my Radeon 9200SE PCI and the latest 9x Cata Drivers resolved using

downloads.guru3d.com/ATI-Catalyst-4.2-W ... d-734.html

this driver fixed it for me and also has support for the Radeon 9550.

Reply 2 of 6, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, I will give it a try 😀

EDIT: Well no go on the older driver package, it errors out when attempting to run the installer.

I will try an older GeForce card as well just too see if the same thing occurs with their drivers or not.

So strange that Windows 2000 works just fine...

Reply 3 of 6, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I figured out why I could not get the Radeon Catalyst drivers to work properly under Windows 98-SE.

I thought I had used msconfig to limit the addressable memory amount to 512MB or less, for some reason it was saved at 640MB and I bet the drivers were having addressing issues.

I had sourced out an nVidia GeForce 6200 AGP card to test out with and it behaved the same way, worked fine under the Windows 2K install but crapped out under Windows 98.

I finally reloaded 98 under SAFE MODE and ran msconfig, there it was, 640MB instead of 512MB.

I set it for 500MB and rebooted back into normal mode, reinstalled the Forceware v77 drivers and it worked fine, hmm, something to look closer at.

I will do some retesting of the Radeon 9550 card to verify but I'm confident this was the cause all along 😉

Reply 4 of 6, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trouble is - Win98 and WinMe have broken memory manager - any amount RAM after 512 Mb can create hang/BSOD/crash (officially Me have 3 Gb RAM limit). Plus, with 512+ Mb RAM you do not have free handlers for programs w/o some tweaking - "no free virtual memory" message.
So, msconfig with 512 Mb limit fix is your best friend.
There was the patch for fixing this issue, but AFAIR - the patch is shareware.

Another cause for errors is Hyper-threading.

Reply 5 of 6, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:
Trouble is - Win98 and WinMe have broken memory manager - any amount RAM after 512 Mb can create hang/BSOD/crash (officially Me […]
Show full quote

Trouble is - Win98 and WinMe have broken memory manager - any amount RAM after 512 Mb can create hang/BSOD/crash (officially Me have 3 Gb RAM limit). Plus, with 512+ Mb RAM you do not have free handlers for programs w/o some tweaking - "no free virtual memory" message.
So, msconfig with 512 Mb limit fix is your best friend.
There was the patch for fixing this issue, but AFAIR - the patch is shareware.

Another cause for errors is Hyper-threading.

Windows 98 unofficial service pack fixes these issues.

I'm running Win98Se on a P4 3.06ghz HT system with 1gig of RAM with absolutely no glitches

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327