VOGONS

First post, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As I said when I first came here, I had an old game's computer that just stopped working right.

The machine in question was an AMD-K6 processor (I don't know what the motherboard was) that ran at 500 MHz. I never overclocked it. It usually had about 64mb of RAM in it, but I switched it out a few times (last time it worked it had 128mb). Its video card was a Voodoo 3 2000 fitted into the PCI slot, but when it started acting up I also tested it with a Diamond Stealth III and some other generic card I can't remember the name of. Its sound card was a Sound Blaster 16 fitted in the ISA slot.

What exactly happened was this: After moving (I've moved several times since getting this computer) it developed a problem where it would turn on and start making these BEEEEP! *pause* BEEEEEP! *pause* BEEEEP! noises. Nothing displayed on the monitor. The first time this happened, it was after switching out the memory, so I thought the memory was bad, but it did the same thing with a stick that I knew was good too, so I started thinking it was the video card. But as I said, it did this with three different cards.

The development of this problem was gradual. At first it only happened every once in awhile, and all I normally had to do to fix it was turn the machine off and then back on. But then it got worse about doing it. A few days ago (the first time I slipped in the Diamond card) it worked fine twice, and I got on and played Duke Nukem 3D, but then I turned it off and then back on, just as an acid test... and it started doing the BEEEEPing again. Its been doing it ever since.

Now understand, I'm no computer expert. I can switch out video cards and memory but I'm not gonna touch anything else. Even so, I'm curious about what happened. Any theories?

Reply 2 of 12, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1 long, three short beeps usually means VGA fail.
Infinite long beeps usually means bad RAM.

Post your beep sequence and your BIOS maker, so we can check what does it means.

Also, you may try clearing the CMOS.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 12, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently had a similar problem with one of my XP systems. When turning it off sometimes it would just come to a dead stop, as in not finish the shutdown procedure. Gradually it would refuse to turn on. One time flicking the PSU switch corrected it. Other times it required waiting increasingly longer periods after shutting down. Finally all it would do is make the lights on the keyboard blink. I had sent the motherboard for repair once before so I suspected it was having problems again. However it turned out the power supply had become unstable.

The blinking lights were from the initial startup, then suffer from a power failure, and try to start up again.

Reply 5 of 12, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Its infinite long beeps. I think its a CMOS bios but without being able to turn the computer on I can't really tell.

I have trouble believing its the memory considering its used several different sticks by different makers, unless its the socket itself that's bad.

EDIT:

In all honesty I'm tired of trying to "fix" it. As far as I'm concerned, its an old piece of junk and all its problems are due to age. What I'd like to do is get a new machine. I'm not sure I can buy any factory-made to the same specifications (that would be too convenient) so I'm instead looking for a good modern machine that I could run DOSbox and a virtualizer on without breaking the bank. Any suggestions?

Reply 6 of 12, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had this problem before when moving PCs around with PCI/AGP video card. Take the video card and re-seat it. AGP slot are especially sensitive to have the monitor plug removed then attached, back when I was PC tech this was a primary culprit. Check other lose connections as well!

Reply 7 of 12, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys,

Last night I tried some of ya'lls suggestions (reseating, cleaning the contacts etc) and then booted the thing up.

Oddly enough, now its working fine, and hasn't given me any trouble since last night.

I'm still a little skeptical, as this thing is known to work great for a long time then all the sudden start acting up (oddly enough, the change from summer to fall seems to affect it), but for the time being I am one happy gamer!

Reply 8 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seems it's fixed now but "BEEEEP! *pause* BEEEEEP! *pause* BEEEEP!" usually means the processor is overheating. This can be due to the HSF needing to be reseated, the CPU fan malfunctioning, the CPU fanconnector somehow dislodged (If it's on a molex, reseat and if that doesn't work, try another molex in case the old one has gone bad or something) or dust in/on the heatsink. If it's dust, clean it using a brush (or if it's a LOT, strip the layer of dust off of it in 1 go! ;D )

Also if your PC is an oem, the PSU will be minimal for that system and simply may have had it's best time passed it. I'd recommend using a spare 250W or better from a good manufacture (I favor FSP's since those are good quality and easy to come by, and CHEAP 😉 ).

If you get into trouble in the future, check for dust anywhere in/on your hardware (including the PSU) and check for bulging/leaking caps (including in the PSU).

Good luck, and have fun with it 😉

Reply 10 of 12, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll keep that in mind.

Hey, I've been wondering: On my old comp I figured out how to do things like configure Win98 so it gives you an option at boot of whether to go into DOS or Windows (and from there, options such as "load with EMS" or "Load DOS without CD-ROM" (so you can load an ISO as your CD-ROM drive) ), and some all-purpose reminders for what to do when a game doesn't work. I was thinking of making guides to all that stuff and posting it here for future generations, but I'm not sure its still necessary or relevant in a day and age where everyone uses DOSbox and/or probably figured all that stuff out anyway. What do you guys think: should I compile/post this stuff?

Also, now that I've got it working, what should I play?

Reply 11 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

"BEEEEP! *pause* BEEEEP! *pause* BEEEEP!" usually means no memory found.

h-a-l-9000's right! I was confusing it with the continuous high-low-high-low BEEEPS. My bad! 😅

Reply 12 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EdmondDantes wrote:

I'll keep that in mind.

Hey, I've been wondering: On my old comp I figured out how to do things like configure Win98 so it gives you an option at boot of whether to go into DOS or Windows (and from there, options such as "load with EMS" or "Load DOS without CD-ROM" (so you can load an ISO as your CD-ROM drive) ), and some all-purpose reminders for what to do when a game doesn't work. I was thinking of making guides to all that stuff and posting it here for future generations, but I'm not sure its still necessary or relevant in a day and age where everyone uses DOSbox and/or probably figured all that stuff out anyway. What do you guys think: should I compile/post this stuff?

Also, now that I've got it working, what should I play?

I think everyone here is in the same situation, but it still wouldn't hurt to post your findings in a thread. Others will surely comment on it, making the thread an interesting read 😉

What games to play? Anything you'd like! 😁
What I'd do is install a Voodoo 2 or 3 and play Glide games on it 😀

Btw, now that I'm thinking of h-a-l's last post, memory problems like you described could be that either the memory is going (less likely) or that your PSU is going (somewhat more likely if it's an underpowered and much used oem PSU).