VOGONS

First post, by RepoOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm rather interested in this processor. It was in my first computer (which still works), and I understand that it was a 486-class replacement for the 386. However, from what I have read, it had some odd bugs and incompatibilities. Early-90s threads and diskmags had some... interesting things to say about this processor, like in this snippet from imphobia issue 10:

"Next one are the Cyrix CPUs. Everyone playing games should go a wiiide bow around them. These chips are the less compatible 486's I've ever seen. Demos and games just break down with one of these plugged onto your mainboard."

Or this, from an x86 history site:
"Cyrix's 386 CPUs were marketed as '486', but in fact they were just enhanced with the 486 command set and the little built-in cache. Later appeared that the microcode wasn't completely compatible with Intel's one, and that caused numerous software incompatibilities."

So, my question is this: What incompatibilities did the Cyrix CPUs have, and to what extent did this affect the ability to play games and run demos? I have run a variety of games on my Cyrix machine, and I have only encountered one that has given me any issues (but that may have just been the game's bad pathfinding).

Reply 1 of 5, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fast attack (Sierra) FAQ says that AMD and Cyrix 486 processors doesn't have FPU (like 486SX), but they are detected as 486DX, so a bug is triggered when the game run in those processors.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 5, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was tricked into believing this was real 486. But in reality it was using a normal 386 board with this 486DLC chips.

To be honest I didn't have any problems with games back in the day, but a ton of errors and crashes in windows. I didn't have that machine for long and my next machine was a AMD DX4-100 which was a lot faster and at last windows didn't crash all the time.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 5, by RepoOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this information last night, but it seems that all of the differences are in what the processor does when behavior is undefined. However, I do not see how this could affect compatibility.
http://www.textfiles.com/programming/cyrix.cp